Sony did it. Nikon, Canon should have. "Ask not whom the bell tolls for..."

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 17, 2013.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 17, 2013

  2. RichA

    Nick Fotis Guest

    Well, Sony does not have to take into account the millions of lenses and
    paraphernalia sold by Canon and Nikon for SLR cameras...
    Backwards compatibility is not easy to overcome.

    Being the new kid on the block makes easier to experiment.

    N.F.

    Nick Fotis, Oct 17, 2013

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    They should offer adapters for the old lenses, they aren't that hard to make.

    RichA, Oct 17, 2013
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    And they had mirrored telescopes in the 1800's, the mirrors were made of speculum metal with a reflectivity of about50% which also tarnished very quickly, necessitating frequent refiguring and polishing. An idea before its time, just like Canon's Pelix and whatever Nikon built in the camera stone age.

    RichA, Oct 18, 2013
  5. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    On 17/10/2013 18:11, Alfred Molon wrote:
    []
    I looked at mirrorless cameras a year or so back and they offered very
    little - yes, slightly smaller, but poorer battery life, limited lens
    choice, and cost significantly more than my present system.

    Were Nikon to offer a mirrorless camera which took my existing lenses,
    what would that offer me? Same size (more or less, for the same lens
    range), perhaps a little lighter, likely reduced battery life (or a
    heavier battery). Perhaps I might consider it, but only if it takes my
    existing lenses directly with the same FoV (i.e. sensor size).

    So for me it would be just the next body upgrade, and the existing very
    wide range of first-quality lenses will keep Nikon and Canon dominant.

    David Taylor, Oct 18, 2013
  6. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    And meanwhile Canon has a DSLR that is not a great deal larger than a
    mirrorless and takes their full range of lenses.

    J. Clarke, Oct 18, 2013
  7. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    On 18/10/2013 12:41, J. Clarke wrote:
    []
    ... and the same with the Nikon DSLR I have.

    David Taylor, Oct 18, 2013
  8. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    However adapters may not be the whole story. I'm reading that some
    mirrorless cameras have autofocus problems with lenses that were not
    designed to work specifically with mirrorless cameras--something to do
    with phase-detect vs contrast-detect autofocus.

    J. Clarke, Oct 18, 2013
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I wish they would put an articulated viewfinder on the higher end cameras.

    PeterN, Oct 18, 2013
  10. RichA

    AS Guest

    Besides, FF sensor needs FF lenses. As long as you have 1 camera and 1 lens,
    you can save somewhat weight. When the system expands to perhaps 3 lenses
    and a reasoanble flash, the size and weight of the camera becomes a
    negligable saving.

    AS, Oct 18, 2013
  11. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    On 18/10/2013 17:46, PeterN wrote:
    []
    Yes, while it's not something I use all the time, or even on every
    shoot, I would miss it were it not there. It's a "must-have" for most
    cameras I buy.

    David Taylor, Oct 18, 2013
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I don't know how ell it works, but....

    I haven't seen any proof of that.

    There is little doubt in my mind that within a few years, the DSLR will
    be replaced by a mirrorless. The optics may well be improved, and much
    lighter. The sensors will be highly superior to even the best out now.
    However, until that day arrives I will continue to use what I have. I
    feel no compulsion to be the first to try the new technology.

    PeterN, Oct 18, 2013
  13. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    That is hardly a given. The mirrorless, unless somebody is an idiot,
    will have a shorter flange distance than the SLRs from the same
    manufacturer, so all that is needes is a simple adapter that adjusts the
    flange distance and carrieds the electrical and possibly mechanical
    connections to the extended flange.

    Olympus, Nikon, and Canon have all produced such adapters for their
    mirrorless cameras.
    Leica found this last to be more of a liability than an asset.

    J. Clarke, Oct 18, 2013
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 19, 2013
  15. RichA

    David Taylor Guest

    On 18/10/2013 20:44, Alfred Molon wrote:
    []
    A very strong disincentive to change!
    1 - A Canon DSLR already has on focal plane focus sensors, doesn't it?
    I've not seen this problem with my present equipment.

    2 - which produces an imbalance when used with longer lenses. Nice for
    wide-angle snaps, perhaps.

    3 - Nice, but not critical for me.

    4 - I've not seen camera-shake due to mirror-slap for many years.

    5 - Maybe, but any automatic metering is, at best, an estimate. Also
    means more battery drain.

    6 - Making the optics more difficult to design and hence more expensive.

    Of course mirrorless has some advantages, but equally so do conventional
    DSLRs. At the moment, the advantages don't justify throwing away an
    investment in existing lenses, at least for me.

    David Taylor, Oct 19, 2013
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Oct 19, 2013
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 10/19/2013 2:52 AM, David Taylor wrote:

    One of my friends has the new Fuji. He says that the Canon converter
    works fine.

    PeterN, Oct 19, 2013
  18. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    The key word is "should." But that something "should" or may work better
    in the future, doesn't mean that my current lenses wouldn't work.
    Having said that, it would tkae a sensor at least equal to the one on my
    current D800 to induce me to change.

    PeterN, Oct 19, 2013
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    The important thing is the current lenses will work in a mirrorless,
    now. I cannot predict the future.

    PeterN, Oct 19, 2013
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    If your camera has live view, it will be much quieter.

    PeterN, Oct 19, 2013