Sony DCS-F1: newbie gets a free present

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bruce_phipps, Aug 14, 2008.

  1. bruce_phipps

    bruce_phipps Guest

    Newbie alert. I have inherited an old Sony DSC-F1 digital camera.
    Although it is an old model, it seems to be well made and would be
    ideal as my first camera, for taking the odd holiday snap etc.

    However, there are some problems:

    * Battery does not hold charge -- a replacement would be 12 UK pounds.
    * No file transfer cable -- the DSC-F1 uses a Camera-to-Serial port
    cable. Newer Sony models seem to use a Camera-to-USB cable. Would it
    be OK to buy a newer cable and use that? Are there any general purpose
    cable out there that I could use. Or do I need a Sony branded cable?
    * No Camera-to-PC file transfer software -- Is this available for
    download on the web? I don't suppose it is available for Linux? Again,
    are there any general purpose file transfer programs I can use, or do
    I need the specific Sony software?

    A final question -- would it be uneconomic to try to "repair" this
    camera? Should I just get a newer, cheapo model that uses USB memory
    sticks?

    Answers to any of these *newbie* questions welcomed.

    bruce_phipps, Aug 14, 2008

  2. bruce_phipps

    Roy G Guest

    All the problems may be solved by buying a Cheap USB Card Reader along with
    a new Battery. Just make sure the reader can take whatever kind of Memory
    Card that particular model uses.

    Cameras don't use USB Thumb Drives, which is what I think you meant by USB
    Memory Sticks.

    Repairing an old model is practically never worthwhile.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 14, 2008

  3. bruce_phipps

    bruce_phipps Guest

    The DCS-F1 doesn't use memory cards AFAIK. It's a pretty old model.
    The camera stores about 30 pics internally. But you need a cable +
    software to get them out of the camera to a PC.
    There are no memory card slots on the camera.
    As I don't have the Sony camera-to-Serial port cable it may be
    cheapest just to bin it. Shame, it seems a well made camera.

    Bruce

    bruce_phipps, Aug 14, 2008
  4. bruce_phipps

    Roy G Guest

    In that case, hand it in to a museum.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Aug 14, 2008
  5. bruce_phipps

    Paul Furman Guest

    "The mega-pixel war begins
    Kodak is releasing two mega-pixel digital cameras, including the first
    digital camera to offer 1.6 million pixels of resolution for under $1,000."

    :)

    Paul Furman, Aug 18, 2008
  6. bruce_phipps

    walky

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Don't. It is a great piece of Sony and digital camera history. Still think there must be an adapter that links the serial type of those days to modern USB. That would be the only way to get those pictures out.

    The battery substitute can be had for less than $20 USD. I have one of these cameras, was my second digital camera, but it is missing the transfer cable. I wish I could buy one. I am sure a very ingenious engineer can produce that transfer cable if it still does not exist. Hang on to it!

    walky, Jan 23, 2013