Sony Completes First Full-Length Blu-ray Disc

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Nov 21, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Sony Completes First Full-Length Blu-ray Disc

    Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) president Benjamin S. Feingold
    today announced that authoring has been completed on the first Blu-ray
    Disc (BD) to contain a full-length, high-definition feature film.
    Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle was compressed and authored in MPEG 2
    full high-definition (1920 x 1080) by Sony Pictures’ Digital Authoring
    Center (DAC) and is now being shipped to BD hardware companies for
    player testing.

    Utilizing Blu-ray’s unprecedented storage capacity, the Charlie’s
    Angels: Full Throttle disc features dynamic menus with full resolution
    graphics and animation, superior audio and unparalleled picture
    quality. “We are confident this achievement will help everyone
    understand that Blu-ray is real and poised to enter the marketplace,”
    said Mr. Feingold. “Blu-ray will bring the highest quality HD
    experience possible to the home.”

    “We are extremely proud to deliver on the promise of Blu-ray. This is
    an important step for our industry in order to begin mass production
    of high-definition movies in the Blu-ray format in the near future,”
    said Don Eklund, Senior Vice President, Advanced Technologies, Sony
    Pictures Home Entertainment.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Nov 21, 2005

  2. Allan

    Howard Guest

    Ah, Sony supports Blu-ray, eh?

    My allegience just switched to HDDVD.

    Howard, Nov 21, 2005

  3. Sony developed Blu-Ray, and the Blu-Ray player that has to be hooked up to
    the internet so it can report on what you're watching and decide whether you
    have a right to watch it.

    Kimba W. Lion, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Allan

    Rich Guest

    Is this their way of corraling the average audience and the ones out
    for cheap soft core porno too?
    -Rich

    Rich, Nov 22, 2005
  5. Allan

    Howard Guest

    Given their recent actions, Blu-Ray is now dead. I know far too many people
    who have bought their last Sony product.

    Howard, Nov 22, 2005
  6. Allan

    Biz Guest

    And you have a choice of whether to buy it or not. Which is pretty
    hilarious coming from an AOHell user....

    Biz, Nov 22, 2005
  7. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    I find it entirely appropriate that the first film they chose is so
    appalling as to be hilarious. Right on the heals of the CD rootkit digital
    rights management fiasco. This farce may be very entertaining.

    Alpha, Nov 22, 2005
  8. No, it's a combination of those two time-honored New Format strategies,
    which traditionally result in goofy failed hi-profile action movies to
    be the first new titles out of the studio gates:

    1) The Early Days of DVD strategy ("Quick, dump 'Twister' and 'Lost in
    Space' onto the market; maybe we'll finally make some money off of them
    from the home-speaker nuts!")
    and
    2) the Superbit/UMD strategy ("Hey, anybody THAT geeked for a new gadget
    probably only watches Matrix sequels!")

    Derek Janssen (however, if CA2 *was* the movie I clicked across on cable
    last night, yep, it's a stinker)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 22, 2005
  9. Ah, an AOL flame. What memories. You still hand-cranking your phonograph,
    too?

    Kimba W. Lion, Nov 22, 2005
  10. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Kimba W. Lion () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    It still applies to most AOL users. If you don't use a lot of the AOL
    exclusive content, then you are paying *far* too much for Internet
    service. The fact that many AOL users do this (*still*) because they
    aren't bright enough to figure it out is what the comment was about.

    It may not apply to you, but it does still apply to the majority of AOL
    subscribers. Take comfort in the fact that every AOL subscriber can make
    fun of every WebTV subscriber. :)

    Jeff Rife, Nov 22, 2005
  11. Well, it's nice to know that one can still get judged by stereotypes and
    other irrelevant things that have nothing to do with one's own actions.
    It's kind of liberating in its own way...

    Kimba W. Lion, Nov 22, 2005
  12. Allan

    Biz Guest

    Just barely Jeff, just barely.....

    Biz, Nov 22, 2005
  13. Allan

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Kimba W. Lion () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    Stereotyping is deciding something based on no provable facts. But, even
    AOL's own target market shows they are aiming at people who aren't as
    bright...people who think that computers are hard to use. So, saying that
    people that use AOL aren't as bright isn't a stereotype, as long as both
    speaker and listener understand that the statement is about the majority
    of the users but isn't (and can never be) all-encompassing.

    An example of a similar statement would be saying that NBA players are
    in better physical shape than other people in the US. This is true
    generally, but the extremes (the least fit NBA player vs. the most fit
    non NBA player) are obvious exceptions, just like some AOL users are much
    brighter than average, and some subscribe to AOL for the exclusive content.
    On the other hand, a few are far less bright than even the average AOL
    user...scary, huh? :)

    Another good example of an exception to a generality is saying that NASCAR
    drivers are better drivers than the average person in the US...except, of
    course, for the one that just got arrested for DUI. But, even with this
    one exception, I don't think anybody would disagree with the base
    statement. Again, talking about the average computer skill level of AOL
    users is a similar situation.

    Jeff Rife, Nov 22, 2005
  14. Allan

    Zygon Curry Guest

    Whoah....

    You're saying that I'd need a permanent Internet connection just to
    watch a movie?!

    No way am I trusting Sony after the shit they just pulled.

    Zygon Curry, Nov 23, 2005
  15. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    Quite true. There was a huge announcement about this and soon thereafter
    Paramount et al. joined the Blu Ray group....the MPAA loves this idea.

    Alpha, Nov 23, 2005
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    No proof of that yet.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Nov 26, 2005
  17. Allan

    Allan Guest

    There is no hardware provider that has stated the above to true. I've
    asked for a link many times... and so far, zip.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Nov 26, 2005
  18. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    Will you please Google this issue. I do not have time for myopic thinkers.
    Please Google...there are PLENTY of articles on the demands now in place.

    Alpha, Nov 27, 2005
  19. Allan

    Goro Guest

    There's no Proof b/c there's no product yet and so any of the
    standards are subject to change up to launch, however, it HAS been
    announced that the renewable copyprotection will require an internet
    connection. It's NOT clear that this is a Sony-only decision as it is
    seems it's a product of the DRM format, which has been adopted by
    HD-DVD also. BluRay does have that other DRM in addition, though.

    -goro-

    Goro, Nov 27, 2005
  20. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Nuff said.

    So claims of ..... "player that has to be hooked up to
    the internet so it can report on what you're watching"

    ........ Are complete bullshit.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Nov 27, 2005