    experiment with the Av,Tv,M modes and maybe order a different lens or two.

    With the 828 you are stuck with a fancy P&S cam and no growth potential.

    if the 828 sold for 600 dollars I can see a place for it.

    Hugo Drax, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Hugo Drax

    Robertwgross Guest

    What in the hell is a D300?

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Dec 27, 2003

  3. I find that at 8x10, if you view at normal reading distances, 300 dpi can
    look a lot better than 250 dpi, for images that can use the detail, and the
    extra pixels give the Sony exactly that advantage. Current inkjet photo
    printers are more than capable of rendering that detail, so there's a real
    need.

    I don't know if the F828 will deliver on that possibility, but Sony's
    high-end cameras have always coughed up the resolution.
    The advantage of the 300D is its image quality. With the F707 vs. D30 (two
    years ago) cases where the extra pixels made a difference were far fewer
    than cases were the D30's better noise and color left the F707 in the dust.
    The color in the 828 seems pretty good: there's one example where the 300D
    overexposed and complete blew the red channel, but the F828 kept the reds in
    control. Visually, the 300D image was a disaster. Of course, a 1/2 stop
    lower exposure in the 300D probably wouldn't have blown the reds.
    If the F828 user interface is anything like the F707, it's far less of a
    "P&S camera" than the 300D. Everying is indepently controllable, and it lets
    you do what you want without arguing with you. The 300D has a zillion modes
    that can't be modified: to do what you want, you have to second guess what
    Canon thought you should be doing to be allowed to do that. Really
    irritating. (I've downloaded and read the manual, although I don't own a
    300D, yet<g>.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 27, 2003
  4. Hugo Drax

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 27, 2003
  5. Hugo Drax

    bmoag Guest

    Yeah but with a 300d your pixel count will always be smaller than Sony's:
    deal with it.

    bmoag, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Hugo Drax

    Aardvark Guest

    Ahhh...the pixel counters are at it again. Number of pixels is
    not the ultimate indicator of image quality, just as a bigger
    engine doesn't make a better car or give a better ride. You just
    end up with more poor quality pixels. Noise, chromatic
    abberations, distortion, posterization, etc etc etc all affect
    the image. The last I heard, the 828 isn't dealing too well
    with some of these issues.
    Deal with it.

    Aardvark, Dec 27, 2003
  7. It still second guesses you on metering and AF modes. (At least you can
    select the AF point. Whew.)

    Don't get me wrong: it's just an irritation, not a problem. If I buy a
    camera this month or next, it'll be the 300D, not the Sony or the 10D. (My
    take on the 300D is that since it's a cheap camera, I have to cut it some
    slack and put up with the irritations. With the 10D, I reserve the right to
    be pissed off about the lack of a spot meter. But the 300D fits my hands
    better than the 10D, the viewfinder works a tad better with my glasses, and
    it'll still make sense as a second camera if Canon comes out with a
    full-frame camera next year.)

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Dec 27, 2003