Sony 16mm pancake, worst optical test ever!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Oct 29, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Oct 29, 2010

  2. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    It's good enough for the majority of Sony NEX buyers.

    The review praises its overall performance at f/8 and states that the
    lens is sharp in the centre wide open. In those respects, it offers a
    performance that is not dissimilar to that of a consumer-grade zoom
    lens - which is what most buyers of this lens would be used to.

    To those of us who are used to higher optical standards? Well, we
    wouldn't be buying a Sony NEX in the first place, would we?

    Bruce, Oct 29, 2010

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    I think the Sony designers made a rod for their own back by choosing a
    16mm focal length then designing down to a price. The result is a
    lens that is about as good as you can expect for the money. It isn't
    great lens, but it's OK for its target market.

    I would hope that the next pancake in the range will be a 24mm to give
    a comparable angle of view to a 35mm focal length on 35mm film. This
    should be easier to make for a similar selling price, and should offer
    higher optical standards to a much wider market.

    I should add that I am not overly impressed with Panasonic's 20mm
    f/1.7 for Micro Four Thirds. Its best results can only be achieved
    with electronic correction of its distortion, lack of sharpness away
    from the centre and some pretty severe CA. It might not be as bad as
    the Sony 16mm but it could never be called a great lens if it didn't
    benefit from an awful lot of help from the electronics.

    Bruce, Oct 29, 2010
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    IMO, the lens is worthless. Since when is a 16mm lens on an APS not
    supposed to have good edge quality wide open? This isn't a frigging
    portrait lens, it's a wide angle. It should at least perform
    respectably wide open.

    RichA, Oct 29, 2010
  5. RichA

    peter Guest

    So the lens has the same value as your opinion.

    peter, Oct 30, 2010
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    You moron. Support a piece of s--- lens if you want, it just makes
    you a contrarian idiot. Camera companies love people like you because
    they can foist whatever they want on them and they'll buy it. Stupid
    bastards.

    RichA, Oct 31, 2010
  7. RichA

    peter Guest

    It's your opinion that's in question. Remember the blind squirrel and
    broken clock.

    BTW you still haven't answered my questions. when may e expect an answer?
    Please give me a timetable so I won't bother you about this thing that
    you have overlooked

    peter, Oct 31, 2010