Song of the South: Film clips on Alice in Wonderland.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Scot Gardner, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. Scot Gardner

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Disney may be testing the waters in order to see if it is safe to
    release _Song of the South_ on DVD:

    From the article "Through the Look glass":

    Alice in Wonderland two-disc Masterpiece Edition

    Buena Vista, color, G, 75 min. plus supplements, Dolby Digital 5.1,

    widescreen (Widescreen?!? I hope this is a mistake.)

    Street: Jan. 27, $29.99; First Run: W, July 1951, NA

    "Adults might get the most out of disc two, which offers a little
    nostalgia via original programming from the '50s, including Disney's
    first TV show, One Hour in Wonderland, hosted by a young Beaumont
    dressed as Alice along with Walt Disney and actors from the era. It
    showed clips from such Disney movies as Snow White and Song of the
    South. Also offered is the behind-the-scenes featurette Operation
    Wonderland, deleted songs, original storyboard sketches and an extensive
    art gallery."

    http://www.dvdexclusive.com/HTMLReviews/ReviewsAliceinWonderland.html

    Scot Gardner, Jan 16, 2004

  2. Scot Gardner

    unclejr Guest

    I know for sure that the "Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah" sequence is on the Alice
    in Wonderland Archive LD Box Set. I would have to check my Archive LD
    first, but I also believe that the other extras mentioned are also on
    this box set. If that is the case, then it *could* mean that BVHE was
    simply lazy and just ported the LD content over to the new DVD to make
    a quick buck or two (Disney trying to make a quick buck? <gasp!>).
    *IF* the content on the new DVD indeed has simply been ported over
    from the LD, then no inference (about whether SOTS would be eventually
    released) could be made IMHO.

    In other words -- I'm not getting my hopes up. :)

    Just my $0.02 worth,

    -Junior

    unclejr, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Scot Gardner

    Bill Guest

    This won't be the first time that a "Song of the South" excerpt has made it
    to DVD. On the Disney Treasures collection titled, "Disneyland USA," there
    is a complete program ("Disneyland," the ABC series from the 50s) that
    contains an excerpt from the film--the "Laughing Place" segment.

    The entire program is in black and white, but it's the closest that I've
    come to seeing "Song of the South" since Disney's last theatrical release
    many years ago.

    Bill, Jan 16, 2004
  4. In other other words -- It's on a TV special. From the vault material.
    For five minutes. Whose other forty-five had to do with "Alice".

    Yes, I want to see it on disk, too (now that Poitier's off the board and
    they're in love with 2-disks), but get...a friggin'...GRIP.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 16, 2004
  5. Scot Gardner

    Aaron Guest

    Does the new Alice in Wonderland 2-DVD edition come with a $5 mail in
    rebate for "previous owners" (such as the older Alice in Wonderland
    DVD)?

    Many of Disney's DVD re-releases of their animated features had such
    rebates, and I was wondering if Alice has one and if it applies to the
    previous DVD or is only VHS mentioned as in the previous offers (as if
    laserdisc never existed)?

    Aaron, Jan 19, 2004