Somewhat OT--Web Hosting Recommendations for dpFWIW??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jam, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. jam

    jam Guest

    Hi,

    It's been a while since I've visited--got tied up with other pressing
    matters this year.

    I'm going to have to move dpFWIW to a new host as the current host is
    too expensive. I'll need about 300 MB of storage and a moderate
    traffic allowance to keep it intact.

    I plan to shop around, but I'd appreciate any hosting suggestions you
    may have to offer.

    Also, I see that some non-commercial sites solicit donations via
    PayPal, for example. Comments?

    Thanks,

    Jeremy McCreary
    Denver, CO
    www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/

    jam, Sep 6, 2003

  2. jam

    Steve Young Guest

    I have missed you, hope it wasn't a sad time in your life

    So *welcome back* Jeremy!. Sorry I can't help you with a host
    recommendation, but wanted to register a positive comment on the collection
    plate. It all costs money and it's a reward for providing good content. Your
    site has certainly been no slouch with your commitment.

    Steve

    Steve Young, Sep 6, 2003

  3. jam

    Charlie D Guest

    Hi Jeremy,

    I've missed you too and hope is all ok.
    I don't have any suggestions, but I'd like to thank you for your great
    site. I've sent many beginners there.

    Charlie D, Sep 6, 2003
  4. It may be a bit more than you need, and possibly out of your price range, but
    I've been reasonably happy with webmasters.com ($119.40/year aka $9.95/month),
    which gives you 750 megabytes of space and 30 gigabytes of traffic per month.

    I did have one problem with them when they needed to upgrade the system on an
    emergency basis, and it took some time for me to get the mailing lists updated,
    since they also changed mailing list software at the same time. However,
    support was able to get me the information so I could rekey it in.

    Michael Meissner, Sep 6, 2003
  5. jam

    Ed Wurster Guest

    Hello.

    I've been useing:

    http://www.page-zone.com/plans.shtml

    They have a forum at:

    http://www.page-zone.com/forums/

    where you can ask questions, and view what others have to say.

    You didn't mention domain, but I suggest you go get that asap if you haven't
    already. Do that through a registrar like godaddy.

    I purchased a reseller account because I wanted as much flexibility as
    possible.

    Ed

    Ed Wurster, Sep 6, 2003
  6. jam

    jam Guest

    Hi all,

    Many thanks for the warm welcome back. Good to see a lot of the old
    gang's stil around. Hope to get a chance to spend some time here again
    soon. I'm itchin' to get my hands on an Oly 4/3 camera, which will no
    doubt spur another burst of RPD/dpFWIW activity, but that's a ways off
    at the moment.

    Mike and Ed, your hosting suggestions look very promising--a lot more
    of everything for a lot less than I'm paying now. I'm going to call
    both on Monday.

    jam, Sep 7, 2003
  7. Good luck!

    Michael Meissner, Sep 8, 2003