Something for the Night Shots 'Shoot In' - maybe.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Vance, Sep 28, 2010.

  1. Vance

    Vance Guest

    I've been working with a zooming tecnique for something other than the
    night shots 'Shoot In' that might be interesting if anyone is
    experimental. It's a way to create a 'holographic' projection look.
    Zooming while shooting lights isn't new, this is just a variation on
    it.

    If you take a long exposure, you can trip the shutter, wait for a
    short bit, zoom and pause at the end of the zoom. There are two
    primary keys to getting an interesting image: Over exposure and
    zooming into a dark/simple background. You need the over exposure to
    record the 'projecting' image, get the effect of the projection and
    get a good projected image. That's the point, getting the final
    exposure to look like a projection of the central image. You need an
    exposure time that, divided up into the three parts of the zoom will
    give you a decent effect. Play time.

    You also have to select your subject for the effect. The shot linked
    to is the San Francisco City Hall dome I used for a test shot. Unless
    your subject works for a radial projection from the center of the
    frame, you will be using half the frame for the shot.

    This is one of those things that is only partially controllable in
    execution, but it also isn't the type of shot that you can just throw
    crap at the wall and hope that something sticks. Well, you can always
    hope. The second image is the full shot of the City Hall building.
    It's far less successful because the lower part of the building isn't
    good subject matter, where the dome is.

    Anyway, just something that you may, or may not, be interested in
    experimenting with.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/Vance.L...authkey=Gv1sRgCOXt4tuzjpaf2wE&feat=directlink

    Vance

    Vance, Sep 28, 2010

  2. Vance

    peter Guest

    So will others.

    BTW How about a pure abstract for a SI assignment. I sent you what I mean.

    peter, Sep 29, 2010

  3. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    Why?

    It's probably Bowser's best ever post. I bet he's really proud of it.

    Bruce, Sep 29, 2010
  4. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    You're welcome. You really are the perfect man to run the SI.

    Bruce, Sep 29, 2010
  5. Boy, boy, you are the one stealing bad DSLR photos, downsizing
    and overcompressing them and then claim they are throw-away shots
    from your magical P&S.

    -Wolfgang

    PS: you are pissed because zooming while shooting isn't
    supported on any P&S.

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 29, 2010
  6. Vance

    Vance Guest

    I tried to make the piont that you couldn't just throw this effect at
    an image and do anything but hope - you have to select the subject in
    light of the end result. What separates this zooming from the more
    common zooming throughout the exposure is the pausing at the begining
    and the end. I was just something I thought someone might like to
    try, either for the upcomming SI mandate, or just because it might be
    interesting.

    I haven't decided what I will shoot for the SI. Maybe something genre
    and moody.

    The troll, under any of his Nyms doesn't bother me. It's just a
    Narcissitic/Sociopathic Personality Disorder with a tendency to sadism
    on public display. I even gave him an opportunity to act in the real
    world and he didn't want to play (never expected him to, really) so
    he's not even interesting anymore, except for one thing: His
    photography. The parts of the brain that in normal people are
    responsible for empathy are heavily implicated in both the
    appreciation of art/aesthetics and artistic creativity. Without the
    capacity for empathy, you would expect images qualitatively like the
    ones he posts. What makes that interesting is that these broken
    people don't usually pick an inherently creative area, and a visually
    creative one at that, to express their pathology. Of course,
    photography isn't the subject. It's all about him and his comic book
    fantasies about himself.

    Vance

    Vance, Sep 29, 2010
  7. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    That's probably a good idea, because you would all be dead from
    asphyxiation ...

    For the avoidance of doubt, you will *never* see any submission from
    me to your little "festival of grossest incompetence". I do, however,
    actively and regularly seek and share critique with people who shoot
    for a living, including a couple of former contributors to the SI -
    long before you took over and plumbed the depths of mediocrity.

    Bruce, Sep 30, 2010
  8. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    Just like the SI, then. Suits you perfectly.

    Bruce, Sep 30, 2010
  9. Vance

    tony cooper Guest

    Being denied your submissions is something I think we can all live
    with.

    It would be interesting, though, to see your critiques of what is
    submitted. I'm sure we'd all like to know *why* they are so bad.

    tony cooper, Sep 30, 2010
  10. These simple CHDK LUA scripts have been available for two years for 56
    models of compact and superzoom cameras. I guess you're just that far
    behind in your pretend-photographer skills. You've not downloaded enough
    manuals and information to use as your pretend-cameras in your
    mommy's-basement role-play "life".

    --[[ Zoom IN en mode M ou Tv ou en mode CHDK Tv override
    zoom during exposure
    ZinTv1s.lua 2008-11-16 --]]

    --mise à zéro
    max_zoom = get_zoom_steps() - 1
    if get_zoom() ~= 0 then
    set_zoom(0)
    sleep(5000)
    end

    --focus
    press("shoot_half")
    repeat
    sleep(1)
    until get_shooting() == true

    --photo
    press("shoot_full")
    sleep(100)
    set_zoom(max_zoom)

    --remise à zéro
    release("shoot_full")
    release("shoot_half")
    set_zoom(0)

    AND

    --[[ Zoom OUT en mode M ou Tv ou en mode CHDK Tv override
    zoom during exposure
    ZoutTv1s.lua 2008-11-16 --]]

    --mise à zéro
    max_zoom = get_zoom_steps() - 1
    if get_zoom() ~= max_zoom then
    set_zoom(max_zoom)
    sleep(5000)
    end

    --focus
    press("shoot_half")
    repeat
    sleep(1)
    until get_shooting() == true

    --photo
    press("shoot_full")
    sleep(100)
    set_zoom(0)

    --remise à zéro
    release("shoot_full")
    release("shoot_half")

    AND

    --[[
    Test zooming during long exposure.

    1) Set camera to shoot a very long exposure (either M or Tv mode or
    CHDK Tv override).

    2) run the script
    --]]

    max_zoom = get_zoom_steps() - 1

    if get_zoom() ~= 0 then
    set_zoom(0)
    sleep(5000)
    end

    press("shoot_half")
    repeat
    sleep(1)
    until get_shooting() == true
    press("shoot_full")
    sleep(100)
    set_zoom(max_zoom)

    repeat
    sleep(1)
    until get_shooting() ~= true

    release("shoot_full")
    release("shoot_half")

    Outing Thieving Trolls is FUN!, Sep 30, 2010
  11. Vance

    tony cooper Guest

    Personally, I would like to see Bruce's critiques of the Shoot-In. I
    don't have a problem with Bruce feeling that the entries are the work
    of incompetent photographers. However, I'd like to see some
    penetrating comments from him about *why* the submissions don't meet
    his standards. I'd like to see what his perspective is.

    His views expressed in previous comments about the submissions not
    conforming with the mandate are not important to me. The SI is a
    social function and not a serious competition. I would judge a shot
    taken at high noon and entered in the night shots mandate based on the
    interest of the photograph itself.

    tony cooper, Sep 30, 2010
  12. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    Made you look!

    Bruce, Sep 30, 2010
  13. Vance

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >
    : >It's pointless, juvenile, and irritating.
    :
    :
    : Just like the SI, then. Suits you perfectly.

    Moving right along ...
    Fotokina is over, and the leaves in our hemisphere are starting to fall. By
    now you must have made up your mind as to how you're going to replace the
    Nikon gear you sold to your former assistant. If enquiring minds don't
    necessarily "want to know", some of them may be at least mildly curious.
    Comments? Revelations? Etc.? You never tire of reminding us that you're a
    professional photographer; being short of equipment must therefore be an
    intolerable (and therefore quite temporary) situation.

    BTW, guys, it's a serious question. No sneering until he either punts or at
    least goes through the motions of a serious answer!

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 1, 2010
  14. Vance

    LOL! Guest

    Actually, no, you didn't, and never have. I just download all the new
    posts, then starting at the topmost (furthest back) one I hit the "next
    unread post" button on the toolbar until it automatically takes me to the
    next newsgroup. It goes to the next unread post no matter which thread it
    is in, each thread being collapsed so I don't even see who is replying
    until the post is opened. Should a thread drift off into another
    senile's-convention about politics or other, then I just set a kill-filter
    so they are deleted in that thread afterward before even being downloaded.
    Your useless spewing just happens to show up in the scan-through, just like
    spam and all the other unremarkable and discardable posts. On the bright
    side, your "made you look" prepubescent behavior DOES show that you had to
    open and read my posts, and even go through the motions of editing the
    reply you waste your time on. Now that's a REAL "Made you look! SUCKER!"

    LOL!

    LOL!, Oct 1, 2010
  15. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    I wasn't able to travel to Photokina for health reasons - I was barred
    from flying and told a long train journey wouldn't be a good idea.

    I have cancelled plans to buy a Pentax 645D. This week I sold all the
    Pentax 645 lenses I had already bought (at a profit) and bought the
    half of a Hasselblad H3D-39 outfit that I didn't already own. That
    wasn't as expensive as it might sound, as it is several years old now.
    I won't be making any major decisions on Nikon equipment until the
    D700/D3s/D3X replacements are announced. I don't have any shortage of
    Nikon gear, it just isn't necessarily the right gear for what I will
    do in the future, whatever that might be.

    You now know as much as I do about my future plans. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 1, 2010
  16. Vance

    peter Guest

    Are they the same as:
    Y Our friends from Olympus?
    The world's most expert IP lawyer?
    Need we go on?

    peter, Oct 1, 2010
  17. Vance

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >Moving right along ...
    : >Fotokina is over, and the leaves in our hemisphere are starting to fall. By
    : >now you must have made up your mind as to how you're going to replace the
    : >Nikon gear you sold to your former assistant. If enquiring minds don't
    : >necessarily "want to know", some of them may be at least mildly curious.
    : >Comments? Revelations? Etc.?
    :
    :
    : I wasn't able to travel to Photokina for health reasons - I was barred
    : from flying and told a long train journey wouldn't be a good idea.

    Gee, that's right. In your part of the world you could have gotten there by
    train. Sorry you cuoldn't make it, and I hope your health issues improve soon.
    Been there, done that, so I know how it feels.

    : I have cancelled plans to buy a Pentax 645D. This week I sold all the
    : Pentax 645 lenses I had already bought (at a profit) and bought the
    : half of a Hasselblad H3D-39 outfit that I didn't already own.

    Actually, that doesn't surprise me much. I have nothing against Pentax (my
    daughter's husband's brother-in-law (seriously!) still loves his old Pentax
    film camera), but you never really struck me as a Pentax guy.

    : That wasn't as expensive as it might sound, as it is several years old
    : now. I won't be making any major decisions on Nikon equipment until
    : the D700/D3s/D3X replacements are announced. I don't have any shortage
    : of Nikon gear, it just isn't necessarily the right gear for what I will
    : do in the future, whatever that might be.
    :
    : You now know as much as I do about my future plans. ;-)

    I don't even know my own! I'm trying to justify the $$$ for a 7D, with both
    demand-side and supply-side arguments. On the demand side, I did an outdoor
    photo shoot last weekend with my old XTi (400D) as my second camera and was
    appalled at the blown highlights due to its lack of dynamic range. The supply
    side is more iffy, but I recently got a couple of $300+ windfalls I wasn't
    expecting, so I'm almost halfway there! (One of them was *literally* a
    windfall. A storm last month left half of a tree dangling in my yard; but this
    morning another storm finished blowing it down, saving me the $350 I was going
    to pay to have it removed. Now all I have to do is saw it up for firewood!)
    :^)

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Oct 1, 2010
  18. Vance

    peter Guest

    You also saved whatever the cost of firewood. ;-)

    peter, Oct 1, 2010
  19. Vance

    Bruce Guest

    Thanks. I just wish I knew where I am likely to be (healthwise) in
    six months' time. In the meantime, it's autofocus all the way. :-(

    Well, perhaps it would surprise you to know that I changed from Nikon
    to Pentax a few years back. I even bought one of the first Pentax
    DSLRs, an *ist D. Silly name, but a reasonably good camera.

    On film, I preferred the Pentax lens range to Nikon's, but the Canon
    EOS 5D transformed my photography. I used a variety of lenses from
    Canon, Pentax, Carl Zeiss (for Contax) and Nikon.

    But the last few years have seen some superb new Nikkor optics and I'm
    happy to be back with Nikon.

    The Pentax 645D seemed attractive because I was just about to lose my
    half share in the Hasselblad - the agreement stated that either of us
    could buy out the other at an agreed price with three months' notice.
    I was given notice, so immediately bought some Pentax 645 glass which
    was still going cheap. My Hassy co-owner then offered me the camera
    at a cut price as he decided to buy an H4D-60 on his own, so it was an
    easy decision.

    The 7D is a superb camera. If you have invested in EF-S lenses it is
    the ideal upgrade path from a 50D. The 5D Mark II would also mean
    buying lenses for full frame which makes it a very expensive
    proposition. Full marks to Canon for offering such a fine APS-C DSLR.

    My apologies for taking so long to reply but I has a long and arduous
    assignment on Sunday - snapping a large number of under-dressed pretty
    young girls who had each paid a small fortune for a very expensive
    makeover and some pics. I have organised all the printing and mailing
    out, but I'm still trying to recover. ;-)

    Bruce, Oct 5, 2010