    catch it?

    Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
    music back, is welcome.

    Bill, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Bill

    ImhoTech Guest

    Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
    hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
    hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
    ..vbs or .exe extension.

    ImhoTech, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Nothing at all. I looked with Windows Explorer and I have my preferneces
    set
    to show all the details of the files. I have never downloaded music
    from the net at all.
    These were all from my own CDs..which I paid for..

    Bill, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I used Windows Explorer to look for the files...used the Search feature
    to see if I could loacate them in another folder if they had been moved.
    I have everything set to show me all the details about files.
    I have never downloaded any music from the net.
    I have checked my entire hard drive looking for any trace and can't find
    one.
    To make matters even worse, I never back up my music files since they
    are compressed about as much as they would be on a backup disk...I
    didn't want to waste so many disks when I did a backup. I usually just
    worry about files I have created and system files being backed up.
    Now it looks like I have to recopy all of those CDs or drop the whole thing.
    I would really like to know the cause more than a solution.. I would
    like to see both.

    Thanks

    Bill, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Bill

    Ingeborg Guest

    Look at the bright side. Now you've got 6000 MB more diskspace, right?
    If not, the files still are somewhere.

    Ingeborg, Jul 28, 2004
  6. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
    It was the RIAA, they were in your computer. Look out! They'll
    probably sue you next!

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jul 28, 2004
  7. Do not use the PC more than absolutely nescessary
    so that deleted files are not overwritten

    So, on another PC, download
    http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
    REST2514.EXE 193 KB

    Put the program on a floppy or USB memorystick, and run the program from
    there:

    Restoration
    Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin by mistake.
    [OS] Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows Me Windows NT Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Freeware

    regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Jul 28, 2004
  8. Windows Media Player *is* a virus. If you have downloaded the updates
    for it, then you are borked. These updates have a clause in the User
    Agreement about the Digital Millenium Copyright laws....and adds a
    static noise to all music files, whether legal or not. I'm not sure
    why Windows Media Player deletes them, but it has happened to a few
    folks before, but mostly just the static in the playback. Good luck.

    Have you searched for *.mp3 files?

    Use Jet Audio. It is a much nicer program and a free basic player is
    offered.

    http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

    HelinaHandbasket, Jul 28, 2004
  9. Bill

    LuckyGuy Guest

    Where the hell did you hear that crap?
    I have reinstalled Windows 98 through XP on several machines and not
    once has it affected the .mp3s

    John

    LuckyGuy, Jul 28, 2004
  10. You're the lucky one.

    I didn't just _hear_ it, I've experienced it.

    <snip>

    HelinaHandbasket, Jul 29, 2004
  11. Check to see if the used space on you drive reflects the space that
    should now be available since they disappeared. If not, they are
    still there someplace. If so, follow the suggestion you received to
    recover deleted files.

    Luke

    Luke O'Malley, Jul 29, 2004
  12. Bill

    kara2011

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2011
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have you really worked with this? i just want to know about this. Thanks anyway, i just want to experience it by myself.

    kara2011, Jun 24, 2011