Something appears on Screen, "Aging" that does not disappears.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Chaudhry.Nijjhar, Apr 26, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    I just have a small box with the word "Aging" in it and it does not
    disappears even after restarting my PC. Cursor does not go on top of it but
    underneath.

    I can't get rid of it and tried to run Microsoft defender, Advanced System
    Care Free version but to no effect.

    What is this please? A bug or virus?

    I hope it is not a spyware. It seems to be on my hard disk and not part of
    XP Pro OS.

    Any help to get rid of it please?

    --
    Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar

    I use Win XP Professional. Intel

    Ntlworld Antivirus Netgear.

    Any other information needed please?

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rajinder.nijjhar/sikhism.htm
    http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=nijjhar1

    Chaudhry.Nijjhar, Apr 26, 2009

  2. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    Whiskers Guest

    Does it appear or dissappear at any time, or is it visible even when no
    operating system is running? Can you find whatever 'process manager' or
    similar tool Windows XP provides and shut down one process at a time to
    see if you can identify a process that is placing this 'transparent
    window' or 'transparent dialogue box' on your display?

    Is there anything in the user manual for the computer or screen to suggest
    that this might be a deliberate warning of something wearing out? (I've
    never heard of such a feature, but you never know!).

    Have you ever had a program display such a message on the screen for a long
    time? There is a phenomenon called 'burn in' which affects cathode-ray
    tube displays; any image displayed for 'too long' can become a permanent
    coloured or faded image on the display. 'Screen savers' were originally
    invented to help stop that happening, and recent CRT displays are less
    prone to it. I've never heard of it happening to a LCD or 'plasma'
    screen.

    Whiskers, Apr 26, 2009

  3. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    thanatoid Guest

    While you did not feel it necessary to tell us WHAT monitor you
    have, I would guess it's some weird LCD model which is warning
    you that the backlight is "aging" and unless it's a Sharp, you
    will have to have it replaced for more than a new LCD would cost
    you.
    Cursor going UNDER the box indicates a /monitor/ function, not
    software.

    BTW, how many faulty pixels do you have by now? (They have
    nothing to do with the back light, just curious ;-)

    Of course, it might be some really stupid malware, and you can
    get a few more programs and search for it.

    But I'd check with your monitor manufacturer, or maybe even read
    the manual.

    thanatoid, Apr 27, 2009
  4. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    sandy58 Guest

    Are there any monitor adjustment knobs/buttons/wheels around/under the
    edges of the monitor? If so give them a twirl & see. Good luck. :)

    sandy58, Apr 27, 2009
  5. Hi,

    This sign disappears if I restart my monitor. It has some thing to do with
    monitor, a warning that my monitor is aging or needs replacement.

    Rajinder

    Chaudhry.Nijjhar, Jun 11, 2009
  6. None that I can see.

    Rajinder

    Chaudhry.Nijjhar, Jun 11, 2009
  7. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    thanatoid Guest

    I /knew/ it was nothing to do with your software.

    Well, it's nice of them to let you know that the LCD backlight
    (lamp which shines through the LCD pixels and allows you to see
    the image and which dims with age - of course, no one tells you
    that when you buy one) will need to be replaced soon. Unless
    it's a Sharp, you will need to have an authorized factory
    service shop do it and it might well cost more than a new
    monitor, even considering how much they have come down in
    prices.

    Replacement parts NEVER go down in price, even when the factory
    knows they will NEVER sell them at ANY price.

    I am assuming it's the backlight they are warning you about
    because unless the whole thing just dies, the only thing that
    can happen is LCD pixels dying. And when they die, they're
    /gone/. That, of course can NOT happen with a CRT. But unless
    the sign doe NOT go away, you could just keep on increasing the
    brightness as long as you get a usable image...

    Ahh the joys of LCD monitors... Long live the CRT! (They'll be
    back...)

    thanatoid, Jun 11, 2009
  8. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    Whiskers Guest

    In that case the solution is obvious, although probably not welcome.

    Whiskers, Jun 11, 2009
  9. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    thanatoid Guest

    It may be obvious to you and me. This guy has been asking about
    this for a while, and I told him what I understood of what's
    going on. He keeps on posting - just today (/maybe/ tried to be
    clever using a different email address - but same name), to
    which I posted a somewhat final reply.

    thanatoid, Jun 11, 2009
  10. Chaudhry.Nijjhar

    Whiskers Guest

    Perhaps he'll get the message when his display vanishes entirely.

    Whiskers, Jun 12, 2009