Somebody helps me: trying to connect to an AP programmatically(WEP, IP address)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Eric Yun, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Eric Yun

    Eric Yun Guest

    hi guys,

    I have stuck here for more than one week. I am trying to write code for a
    PPC 2003 application which will connect to an AP. It works when I turn off
    WEP; but I have a weird problem when I turn on WEP.

    Basically I used the following steps for AP connection:
    1. open device
    2. set authenticaiton mode to 0 (open)
    3. set infrastructure mode to 1 (infrastructure mode)
    4. set SSID
    5. set WEP
    6. enable WEP.

    I am working on Toshiba E800 and HP IPAQ5450. When WEP is off, everything is
    fine; when WEP is on, 5450 cannot establish a connection, E800 works ONLY
    when I assign a static IP address to it (192.168.xx.xx). I did not turn off
    WZC because both devices do not work if WZC is off.

    I found the reason that connection is not successful is device does not have
    correct IP address. They have either 169.254.xx.xx or 0.0.0.0. I used
    IpReleaseAddress and IpRenewAddress, but they do not work.I tried to
    dissociate right after I open divice, but there is not change.

    Anybody has such experience? How did you solve it? please drop me a line,
    Thanks

    Eric

    Eric Yun, Sep 14, 2004

  2. First, pick a group (suggest microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless) and
    avoid cross posting... just wastes resources. If you pick the wrong
    group, you will normally be pointed to the best section.

    What do you mean by "Set WEP?" With WEP on you are going to have to
    enter the WEP key and it is normally easier to enter the WEP code in hex.

    Some drivers do not allow spaces between characters and some "split" the
    entries so that one hex character is split between two fields.

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

    Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev], Sep 15, 2004