Some Skype customers lose numbers

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Martin Jay, Nov 27, 2007.

  1. Martin Jay

    Martin Jay Guest

    [Note: crossposted to uk.telecom, uk.telecom.broadband and
    uk.telecom.voip]

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/22/skype_down_again/>:

    "Up to 10,000 Skype customers have to change their SkypeIn number by
    20 December, an email to customers advised last night.

    By way of recompense, it also offered affected punters a year's free
    service with voicemail and a grovelling apology.

    According to the email, Skype is having to 'return some of the 0207
    SkypeIn numbers' to their suppliers, though it makes no mention of
    why, or to whom, these numbers need to be returned.

    It seems numbers starting '020 7870' are affected, which Ofcom shows
    are allocated to a company called Gamma Telecom. Skype leased these
    numbers from an intermediary called GCI Telecom, who tell us that they
    are still in negotiations with Skype regarding the numbers, and have
    promised us a fuller explanation real soon now.

    Skype's message board is full of complaints from users about to lose
    their numbers, who have printed up business cards or even '...had to
    pulp a mailshot to 3,000 people, already stuffed, stamped, and ready
    to go, with first class stamps stuck on'."

    Martin Jay, Nov 27, 2007

  2. but this is ramping.

    R. Mark Clayton, Nov 27, 2007

  3. Martin Jay

    tom_ford Guest

    don't panic its not as bad as it sounds both voipfone and vonage are
    offering to port the effected numbers from skype to their platforms i
    have just moved my number from skype to voipfone and it was working by
    the next morning despite the fact i had a rather worrying call from
    gci telecoms basically trying to use scare tactics to get me pay them
    double what i was paying skype.

    i don't how it all works with vonage but voipfone have provide some
    information www.voipfone.co.uk/skype or 08005200949.

    Hope this is of some help.

    Tom Ford
    WCM Plastics