Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP SP2

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Jose, Aug 15, 2004.

  1. Jose

    Jose Guest

    Jose, Aug 15, 2004

  2. Jose

    catwalker63 Guest

    What made you come to the conclusion?? Did you read the article or just
    the title??

    --
    Catwalker
    aka chffl srrg

    "I have a gun. It's loaded. Shut up."

    catwalker63, Aug 15, 2004

  3. Jose

    Jose Guest

    How about if I read both, would that pass your test...

    Jose, Aug 16, 2004
  4. I never thought I'd see somebody criticize Microsoft for *enabling* the
    Windows XP firewall by default.

    Patrick Michael, Aug 16, 2004
  5. Jose

    DaveL Guest

    When I read the link you posted I thought that this was a good thing. I
    can't count how many people I know whose computers have been infected with
    bots and worms. Sounds like sp2 is a step in the right direction for them.

    DaveL

    DaveL, Aug 16, 2004
  6. Jose

    Jose Guest

    I am all for practicing safe computing, however you need to be aware of the
    issues related to this SP.

    Jose

    Jose, Aug 16, 2004
  7. If you have a firewall running already when you install SR2, you may be
    able to avoid this. Even with a Firewall enabled, [email protected] installed ICS and
    ICF. I had to got into the Service tab on msconfig, and disable Internet
    Connection Sharing which also disables the MS Internet Connection
    Firewall. Once I rebooted, my Wingate firewall and DHCP server worked fine.

    Progressive with an Attitude, Aug 16, 2004
  8. I have installed SP2 as many others I know of without any problem. Of course there
    will always be cases of incompatibility and you should always make a full backup of
    your operating system [Ghost images are good and fast] before installing a service
    pack and you are strongly advised to at the time of the install.

    There are many significant improvements in SP2, many of which will make it easier for
    enterprise users to lockdown/secure their domain computers for Internet Explorer
    settings and firewall configuration via Group Policy [hundreds on new settings for
    Group Policy] . The KB references that the new SP2 will enable the built in ICF
    firewall which can interfere with some network applications. If you disable the ICF
    firewall then the application should work. Arguably there may be limited value of
    having the ICF firewall enabled on the lan when you have a firewall at the perimeter
    already. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Aug 16, 2004
  9. Jose

    TechGeekPro Guest

    TechGeekPro, Aug 16, 2004
  10. Jose

    Rex Tincher Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:20:44 GMT, "Steven L Umbach"

    <snip>

    Read the two good articles in "Windows & .NET Magazine" about Windows
    XP SP2 firewall and how to configure it: "Fine-Tuning Windows
    Firewall" in the June 2004 issue, and "Windows XP SP2: Centralized
    Deployment and Defense" in the August 2004 issue.

    Old & new subscribers can read old articles on the website
    http://www.winnetmag.com/

    Rex Tincher, Aug 16, 2004
  11. Jose

    Jtyc Guest

    You don't understand the function or purpose of a firewall.

    It's to slow down or stop the spread of fire obviously.

    Jtyc, Aug 16, 2004
  12. Jose

    Jose Guest

    Thanks for your kind words it really shows a lot about your education.

    Jose

    Jose, Aug 16, 2004
  13. Jose

    Rex Tincher Guest

    I thought it was to terminate the employment of walls?

    Rex Tincher, Aug 16, 2004
  14. Jose

    JaR Guest

    It is the wall one stands the luser in front of before opening fire.

    JaR
    Coup d'Thug

    JaR, Aug 16, 2004
  15. Rex.

    I love your info about the fallacies of gun control and how the anti gun zealots have
    educated the criminal element to use more sophisticated weaponry! A few years back
    here in Illinois the mayor of Chicago and future governor were calling for a ban of
    the .50 caliber in Chicago. And why? Because a person could go to the top floor of
    one of the skyscrapers and pick off people in the area sports stadiums with one of
    course. Chicago has Nazi Germany control laws where it is illegal to own a handgun
    unless you are a pal [major contributor] of the mayor and yet it has the highest
    murder and violent crime rate of any major US city. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Aug 17, 2004
  16. Jose

    TechGeekPro Guest

    And you're just another know-it-all prick looking for someone to put down.
    You're an asshole.

    You don't understand normal social interaction.

    TechGeekPro, Aug 17, 2004
  17. Jose

    Rex Tincher Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 03:58:46 GMT, "Steven L Umbach"

    More gun deaths means more votes for anti-gun politicians like Chicago
    Mayor Richard Daley.

    Most gun deaths in Chicago are caused by drug dealing gangs and
    Daley's police "seldom show up to stop drug-dealing youths".

    "To Vera Evans, mother of murder victim Jason Harvey, the problems
    appear intractable. Police seldom show up to stop drug-dealing youths
    who appear on her South Side street everynight, and the allure of big
    money from selling drugs is too great for many youth to resist the
    trade, she said." source: "Gang Wars Make Chicago the Big-City
    Murder Capital", Reuters news service, 08/26/2003
    --
    "Rowan, who had advocated strict handgun control, found himself
    in the center of a gun controversy during the 1980s when he was

    Rex Tincher, Aug 19, 2004
  18. Jose

    Rex Tincher Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:53:55 -0400, Rex Tincher

    <snip>

    Sorry for the self-followup.

    Please replace the sentence:

    Most gun deaths in Chicago are caused by drug dealing gangs and
    Daley's police "seldom show up to stop drug-dealing youths".

    with

    Most gun *murders* in Chicago are caused by drug dealing gangs and
    Daley's police "seldom show up to stop drug-dealing youths".

    Rex Tincher, Aug 20, 2004
  19. Thanks Rex.

    I rarely go OT but I get pretty passionate about this subject. --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Aug 20, 2004
  20. Jose

    Rex Tincher Guest

    Yeah, me too. I get really angry when people blame me for problems
    that they caused themselves.

    Rex Tincher, Aug 20, 2004