Some one donated a few Mac Monitors to this chap, can they be made to work on a PC..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by The GHOST of WOGER., May 9, 2004.

  1. Or can they be modified to work at little cost..?

    One I think is a 15" and I have a 17"in my boot..

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 9, 2004

  2. The GHOST of WOGER wants to waste his time:

    well, as a Mac weenie I could fairly confidently assume
    that if someone has given them away they're well past use by...

    Apple did once give away adapters with the multiscan 17" range
    trying to encourage PC ppl to use them...
    solder, sockets, sweat, tears.
    Google for "Brian's Mac Monitor ... " for pinouts
    also be advised Mac monitors frequently are capable of only
    one resolution, unless the name says "multi- "

    and beware the 1710, the heaviest 17" monitor known to man,
    said by some to be part of a plot by Sony to sink Apple.

    J.Random Luser, May 9, 2004

  3. Thanks for your Reply

    Just had a look at it.

    Well it is a AppleVision 1710....-:)

    So besides the weight, is it possible to use it..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., May 10, 2004
  4. The GHOST of WOGER.

    EMB Guest

    In
    google it woger....the first half dozen hits tell you all you need to know.

    EMB, May 10, 2004
  5. The GHOST of WOGER. still wondered:
    Macquarium?

    J.Random Luser, May 10, 2004
  6. The GHOST of WOGER.

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    The 1710 is a very decent 17" multiscan 17" Trinitron. Nice picture,
    nice features (e.g. the ADB ports, the calibration), does decent
    resolutions (at least 1162x874, maybe 1280x1024, I forget).

    Only problem with them was that (unlike other Apple monitors, earlier or
    later) they seemed to die en mass due to a dodgy analogue board design.
    Still, if it's going now it'll probably keep on going forever.

    The 1710 also came with a Mac-to-VGA adaptor. Yours might not still
    have it, but plenty of other companies sold similar things fairly
    cheaply. I've got a few in a drawer somewhere.

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, May 11, 2004
  7. We found them microphonic, somewhat disturbing in a digital audio
    editing suite. We also found the focus drifted slowly with age unevenly
    across the raster. And color balance drifted, hence the included complex
    calibration circuitry.

    We loved 'em new, unfortunately longer term experience was less lovely...

    J.Random Luser, May 11, 2004