    The one time it decides to throw all that away and start with a clean
    slate (Itanium), AMD sneaks in to take over the old strategy and
    out-Intel Intel!

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 16, 2004

  3. 17 Sep 2004 10:32:05 +1200, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <[email protected]
    central.gen.new_zealand> says...
    The Itanium has some sort of emulation of an x86 that it can run, I
    believe.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 16, 2004
  4. Tim

    AD. Guest

    Originally they had onboard hardware support for x86 instructions but it
    was pretty slow (think mid range pentium 1). Newer models can emulate x86
    in software at an almost respectable speed (about low-mid range P4 I think).

    I think the hardware x86 support will be dropped in future models (if not
    already).

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 17, 2004
  5. Too slow, and too much of an afterthought.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2004
  6. When the x86 architecture was new it was not directly backward compatible
    with the existing (and popular) 8080/8085 architecture, though it was
    said you could recompile your programs with an x86 compiler. I wonder if
    many applications were ported from the 8080/8085 architecture.

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 17, 2004
  7. The itanium does it very badly(slowly).
    The itanium 2 is much better, although still a lot slower than what
    normal people should/would expect.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 20, 2004
  8. Tim

    AD. Guest

    Are you talking about its sales or its performance? ;)

    Seriously though, speaking of sales, you might've already seen this:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/18/ibm_plots_idc_mistakes/

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Sep 20, 2004
  9. performance... I figure I shouldn't care about the lack of sales...
    Intel dont :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 20, 2004