Some basic questions from a noob.

Discussion in 'MCSA' started by Josh, Jun 7, 2005.

  1. Josh

    Josh Guest

    Hello all. I just found this forum today and have some questions that I
    haven't been able to find answers to yet.

    I'm currently studying for the 70-290 exam, and the practice test is quite
    hard. The questions are so picky. One thing that I think would help me is
    to be able to write out the problem on paper while taking the test. Does
    anyone know if this is allowed? Or am I required to just figure it all out
    in my head?

    My second question is in regards to how some of you study for your tests.
    Do you have a test environment to work out stuff, or do you just rely on the
    books to learn from? Or maybe you do the same stuff already at work?

    I guess finally if anyone has any tips that might help, I'd love to hear
    them. My end goal is to complete MCSA, then MCSE and possibly MCDBA. One
    thing at a time though. :)

    thanks.
    -Josh

    Josh, Jun 7, 2005

  2. When you go to your exam, you might receive a plastic board where you can
    make annotations acording the agreement, but to be realistic and practic,
    the only thing that you will do with that is steal your own time, because
    you'll need it. The most of the times, you have to figure out and
    quick-memorize pieces of data in order to get a general idea of the question
    or case and then, provide an answer

    Victor Guillen, Jun 7, 2005

  3. Josh

    Josh Guest

    Thanks Victor, the types of questions where i may want to draw it out are
    with questions such as setting up file permissions. Those ones always get
    confusing when I try to memorize them too much... Or with questions that
    have like 6 or more possible answers, I may want to write down which I know
    are right, which are known wrong, etc.

    Josh, Jun 7, 2005
  4. Well, I'm not telling you that you are not allowed to make notes, the only
    thing I'm trying to let you know, is that if you do it, you have to be
    quick, because you'll find questions that might consume more time than
    others, just be careful and quick

    Victor Guillen, Jun 7, 2005
  5. Josh

    T-Bone Guest

    Hi Josh and welcome. One of the best things to do is scour the training and
    certification section of the microsoft web site. You'll find a lot of links
    and pointers there to useful information. Of particular interest is a
    practice lab simulation. If you have a specific question, try using google
    to search for your problem. If all else fails ask back here, but make sure
    you tell us what you ahve already done to search for the answers.

    As for studying, the best thing is to have a test lab where you can break
    and fix things and play around and learn stuff. Passing the exams by just
    reading books is difficult and in the long run won't help you because its
    the hands-on experience that will get you a job.

    And of course, avoid braindumps at all costs.

    Hope that helps!

    T-Bone, Jun 7, 2005
  6. Josh

    Bri Guest

    In all MS exams you can skip questions and review them later. This is the
    time to get out the papper. Watch your time, it will be tight, As a last
    resort guess, you may be lucky and all questions unanswered will be marked
    wrong.

    Bri, Jun 9, 2005
  7. Josh

    Josh Guest

    Thanks for the tips everyone. I passed the test, barely. Got a score of
    700, with 700 being passing... :)

    For the most part I thought the questions were easier than the practice exam
    that came with my book, but there were a few questions with terminology that
    I hadn't seen before. I think those are what brought down my score. I wish I
    could have seen exactly which questions I got right and wrong. oh well, on
    to the next one!

    -Josh

    Josh, Jun 20, 2005