Solving why WinXP freezes with D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Froggy :Pond, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Froggy :Pond

    Froggy :Pond Guest

    Does anyone else have a 5-minute D-link wireless connection?

    Within five minutes, my Windows XP laptop freezes when I have the
    "D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650" card in the PCMCIA slot. I can't
    move the mouse or anything.

    Yet, immediately, when I remove the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650
    card, Windows XP works again.

    I can't restart the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 wireless card
    unless I reboot.

    This is very inconvenient. My WinXP is up to date with patches. The
    D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 card says "H/W Ver.:B2", F/W
    Ver.:2.23" on the back.

    Does anyone else have a 5-minute D-link wireless connection?
    Do you know how to solve this problem?

    Thanks,
    Susan

    Froggy :Pond, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Froggy :Pond

    WRC Guest

    Is the laptop and AMD or an Intel Chipset?
    I have 1 laptop with an AMD chipset that freezes at any hardware change.
    My Intel Laptops have no problem with adding and removing hardware.
    My Powerbook G4 never complains about anything. I luv my MAC.

    WRC, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Froggy :Pond

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    How is the wireless connection maanged? With Microsoft Wireless Zero
    Configuration service or D-Link's utilittes? You can not have "both" on at
    the same time.

    Yves Leclerc, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Froggy :Pond

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Hi,
    For a starter, do you have latest driver installed?
    Tony

    Tony Hwang, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Froggy :Pond

    Jim Guest

    I use to have a similar problem, although mine froze almost immediately. It
    happened using a D-Link DWL-G650 as well, but my laptop was an older circa
    '98 Gateway 9100 LS. After a lot of experimentation, including replacing
    the card and trying other brands, I noticed that ANY newer PC cards I tried
    in my laptop would cause the same behavior! However, older PC cards, like
    my Xircom network/modem card, worked just fine. Believe me, I tried
    EVERYTHING under the sun to make it work, include BIOS changes, interrupt
    manipulations, etc., nothing worked. Although I can't prove it, I suspect
    that something changed in the PC card spec that made newer cards
    incompatible w/ my older laptop. The voltages are the same (my first
    suspicion), so there's just something else different, maybe the chipsets,
    whatever, that my older laptop doesn't like about newer PC cards. I've
    heard several other ppl have the same exact experience.

    Granted, I'm merely speculating here, but your description brought back
    memories of this nasty problem that I tried to solve for many weeks w/ no
    success. Simply had to resign myself to using ONLY older PC cards, or
    USB-based alternatives. Just thought perhaps this might be what happening
    to you too.

    HTH

    Jim

    Jim, Nov 6, 2005
  6. Froggy :Pond

    Yves Leclerc Guest

    I have encountered problem with the USB version of the D-Link adapter. I
    determined that the drivers that D-Link includes with the AirPlus Xtreme G
    cards can cause crashes (on my PC.) I since got an SMC USB adapter and I
    have not have any problems.

    NOT ALL CARDS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

    Yves Leclerc, Nov 6, 2005