    if you can recommend a Cisco router or similar device that will work around
    this. Doesn't have a lot of money since its for home. Thanks for any
    input.

    Pastor, Jan 16, 2004

  2. :Know someone who wants to set up two clients coming off a server (via
    :wireless NICs). This server will be attached to a cable modem and the
    :problem is he was told that since he doesn't have a static IP that the
    :clients will eventually come up with unable to connect when browsing
    :Internet.

    It isn't clear to me whether this is outgoing only connections
    (e.g., normal www surfing and email), or if you need to be able to
    have incoming connections to the clients (e.g., netmeeting, or if the
    clients are running servers... multiplayer games perhaps?.)

    :They said its impossible for these clients to stay on unless he
    :purchases a perm. IP address for 79.00 /month.

    If all the connections are outgoing then that's either completely wrong
    or they were talking about some less than obvious issue.

    : Any ideas out there? Also
    :if you can recommend a Cisco router or similar device that will work around
    :this. Doesn't have a lot of money since its for home.

    If all the connections are outgoing, then as long as the server is doing
    PAT (port address translation), you don't need anything more. Standard
    Microsoft "connection sharing" for example would be enough.

    My IP address at home changes at least once a week. I barely notice
    except when I want to connect back to my home machine from outside.

    Walter Roberson, Jan 16, 2004

  3. Pastor

    Pastor Guest

    Yes, all they will do is connect for www and e-mail. I believe he will also
    have a shared printer coming off the router (might be via print server).
    But to answer your question yes it is for outgoing

    Pastor, Jan 17, 2004