Solution to Windows XP Nikon Coolscan III LS-30 "Found New Hardware" problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael A. Covington, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. Greetings,

    Nikon couldn't answer this one, but I figured it out myself, so I'm posting
    it to help others.

    There are 2 basic challenges to getting the Nikon Coolscan III (LS-30)
    working under Windows XP.

    (1) You need an ASPI driver, or else it doesn't work. Specifically, ASPI
    version 4.7, free from www.adaptec.com, is recommended. (Nikon knows this
    much.)

    (2) Windows has no driver for the Coolscan III (LS-30). The scanner does
    not need a driver in order to work. However, Windows is implacable! It
    will keep saying "Found New Hardware" every time you turn the scanner on,
    even if you've told it not to keep prompting you about this piece of
    hardware.

    The solution? NkScnXP.inf is a file of "drivers" for the LS-2000 and
    LS-30. Tell Windows to install the driver from that file, and it will be
    happy. The driver is actually basically a do-nothing file, as I understand
    it, but it satisfies Windows.

    The problem? NkScnXP.inf is very well hidden. When you download and unpack
    Nikon Scan 3.1.2, the file is found in INF/LS2000/WinXP. There is no
    directory for LS30, so you won't find it unless you look in the "wrong"
    directory.

    Enjoy!

    Michael A. Covington, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Michael A. Covington

    Jim Guest

    Since time began, you were supposed to load NikonScan before connecting the
    scanner to the computer. All you really need to do is follow the
    installation instructions in the manual.
    Jim

    Jim, Dec 26, 2003