    soldi state type would be fitted to laptops, but they are not.

    any advice please about the relative merits of the two different types?
    thanks.

    jw 1111, Sep 11, 2005

  2. jw 1111

    JANA Guest

    I have not seen a very large solid state type at a reasonable cost. If you
    have the dollars for a 60 gb solid state drive, this would be ideal. There
    would be no mechanical parts, thus it would have a much greater endurance
    for being knocked around.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "jw 1111" <> wrote in message
    Hi, in choosing an external hard drive i have narrowed it down to a choice
    between a small laptop type in an external case or a small portable solid
    state type of 60
    GB.

    is there any advantage in getting the normal laptop type since the
    solid state one has no moving parts; which i thought would have been an
    advantage. but on the other hand if they were that much better i guess the

    JANA, Sep 11, 2005

  3. JANA wrote:
    [replies trimmed to 24hrsupport.helldesk because question is of no special
    relevance to "microsoft" or "ie6" related groups]

    > I have not seen a very large solid state type at a reasonable cost. If you
    > have the dollars for a 60 gb solid state drive, this would be ideal. There
    > would be no mechanical parts, thus it would have a much greater endurance
    > for being knocked around.

    But then, look at the specs .. usually flash memory is specified for around
    100.000 overwrites. Sounds pretty much, but *just that one byte that counts
    the seconds* will be affected first, like maybe main inode/FAT table
    entries.
    Just because I'm curous, how much to pay for it?

    Btw., there are hardware groups where the thread appears to belong to.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.13-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

    Walter Mautner, Sep 11, 2005