    messing up my MBR, which I've done before with LILO (I'm not sure
    exactly what I did to achieve this). So, any help is welcome.

    woland

    woland, Mar 7, 2006

  2. You don't have a choice. The MS boot manager will not let you choose
    anything but MS OS types. You can use a third party boot manager if you wish
    (I usually do on machines I boot across to both UNIX and Windows) or you can
    install Windows, then install Solaris. I like to create my partitions
    first - creating multiple primary partitions and leaving the first one for
    UNIX (some of them didn't like not being in the first 1024 cylinders, at
    least in the old days), and then installing Windows onto the second one.
    This requires partitioning software that allows you to create multiple
    primary partitions. Another way around this is a bios that allows you to
    change the order of hard drives. IAC, Solaris should have a way to boot over
    to Windows, though I don't have any familiarity with it, I confess.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 7, 2006

  3. This might be useful for some possibilities:
    http://michael.gasperi.priv.at/documents/solaris-9-dual-boot-with-windows-xp

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Thomas Ferguson, Mar 7, 2006
  4. We are all limited by what we like, once the only other loader I knew about
    was LILO - now, there seem to be wide concent that GRUB is a more modern
    job. If you find that is the way to go - here is where you can get the GRUB
    manual (some 85 pages of all the gory details in PDF). Should keep you on
    the 'straight and narrow'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 7, 2006
  5. Tony Sperling, Mar 7, 2006
  6. woland

    jacob navia Guest

    woland a écrit :
    I have windows server 64 bits coexisting peacefully with linux
    mandrake 64 bits, windows server 2003 (32 bits) windows xp (32 bits)
    and some others

    The BEST solution I have found so far is having each OS in a separate
    disk, and having the boot menu letting me choose which OS I want
    to drive by choosing the boot disk.

    I leave the default OS in the IDE1 disk, that boots windows 2003 64 bits.
    When I need linux for some customer request I press F11 at boot and
    I boot from lilo in the second SATA disk, that allows me to boot
    either Mandrake or Debian linux. Note that lilo allows you to boot
    from the SATA disk, but windows doesn't, so it is a good idea to
    use SATA for linux systems, and leave the IDE disks for windows.

    The second IDE disk contains windows server 32 bits, and windows
    xp 32 bits. When I boot this disk I arrive into a secondary boot
    menu.

    Each OS thinks it is the only one. No problems at all. The only
    time I lost an OS was when I tried to install windows VISTA that
    destroyed my windows XP (32) system and the boot loader in the drive.
    The other OSses were not affected.

    jacob

    P.S. Something unrelated: Linux sees NTFS partitions and can read them.
    It would be nice if Windows could read linux partitions. Someone here
    knows about an EXT3 file system support for Windows?

    jacob navia, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Yes, I've seen it - I think it was on PAMD64. . .

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 7, 2006
  8. woland

    VWWall Guest

    If you let GRUB install on the x64 system partition MBR, it will offer a
    choice of "Windows" on boot-up. This will take you to the Win x64
    boot.ini which can offer other Windows dual boot options. I've edited
    the GRUB "menu.1st" to make Windows the default with a 5 second delay.
    boot.ini is edited to go to WinXP32 as default, and WinXP x64 a choice.

    If you install Windows after Linux, it will re-write the MBR and ignore
    GRUB. Most Linux distros have a "boot repair" to fix this
    FIXMBR from the Win CD will "un-mess" the MBR, but will also "un-seat"
    GRUB! A sure way to avoid all this is to make a floppy boot-loader to
    start Solaris.

    VWWall, Mar 7, 2006
  9. woland

    woland Guest

    Thank you all for all your help. This was very helpful. Since I
    already have Win x64 installed, I'll try letting Grub install on the
    x64 partition. I'm going to have a separate hard drive for Solaris 10.

    I forgot to mention this, but does having two SATA hard drives make a
    difference in any of your suggestions? That's what I'm going to do,
    have win x64 on one SATA drive and Solaris 10 on another SATA. If it
    doesn't make a difference, then I guess I'll know.

    Again, thank you everyone for your posts.

    woland

    woland, Mar 8, 2006
  10. Your only worry is if Solaris needs driver support to see the SATA. I'm
    affraid I cannot be of much assistance on that matter. Personally, I wanted
    to have 64bit SUSE on my other SATA, but the only driver I could find was
    source, so I would need to compile to install, and I cannot compile until I
    have installed. (sic!) Instead I set up a RAID 0 for my winx64, certainly
    not the same thing, but I am fairly happy.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Mar 8, 2006
  11. woland

    Randy Guest

    Care to summarize your impressions of Solaris 10, especially versus 64bit
    Windows (if you've been able to use solaris yet)? I've been toying with the
    idea of multi-booting a test system to Solaris as well, but only have an
    older 32bit version (8), so not worth installing on my 64bit system...

    Randy, Mar 8, 2006
  12. woland

    woland Guest

    I'm still waiting for my hard drive to come, so I haven't installed it
    yet.

    Solaris 10 is a free download and is 64 bit. You can download it at
    www.sun.com, just follow the links for Solaris 10.

    woland, Mar 8, 2006