    without seeing eachother?

    Thanks

    Dave

    david, Jan 16, 2005

  2. :Will the SOHO routers like the 90 series support subnetting and access
    :control lists?

    The SOHO 90 series features are difficult to tell apart from the
    corresponding 800 or 820 series model sometimes. Well, the list of
    differences can be fairly long, but for casual use they can be much the
    same.

    :Will I be able to isolate 2 networks and share the WAN connection
    :without seeing eachother?

    I think you aren't really asking about subnetting: you are asking
    about sub-interfaces and VLANs, as that's about the only way to arrange
    for two groups on the same interface to "not see each other".
    Provided, that is, that you have the device plugged into VLAN-aware
    switch.

    According to Cisco's Feature Navigator, VLANs are not supported
    on the SOHO series or the 800 series or the 1600 series. Now, the
    feature navigator is often out of date, so I searched the release
    notes, and all the documentation I could find was consistant with
    the SOHO and 800 series not supporting VLANs, -except- that there
    has recently been a feature added to the 800 series, something
    about remote vlan support... which would seem to imply local vlan
    support, but I cannot find any evidence for that.

    I did find that some of the 800 series can, in quite recent releases,
    take one of the ethernet ports from the switch side and turn it into
    a DMZ port that acts in all ways as a separate ethernet interface.
    You need 12.3(7)XR1 or later.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123relnt/800/rn800xr.htm

    Walter Roberson, Jan 17, 2005