[SOHO] Free/cheap PBX for Windows?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Vincent Delporte, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Hello

    Besides the three options below, does someone know of a free
    or cheap PBX software that can run on Windows? This is just for SOHO
    use.

    Asterisk on Win32 (still using 1.0.10; don't know how reliable on
    Windows, and what hardware it supports)
    http://www.asteriskwin32.com/

    OnDO PBX and SIP Server (don't know the difference between the two;
    free for personal use)
    http://www.brekeke.com/products/products_pbx.php

    Axon Virtual PBX Software (free)
    http://www.nch.com.au/pbx/index.html?ref=google&ref2=pbxs&ref3=fr&gclid=CJ3zke2QiIYCFQZ6Qgod0Su4-w

    To connect to the POTS, since the Digium PCI cards only run with
    Asterisk, and unless you can recommend other (affordable) PCI cards,
    I'm thinking of buying a VoIP gateway box such as the Sipura 3000. Any
    other recommendation?

    Thank you.

    Vincent Delporte, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Also, you can run Asterisk (the Linux version) under VMware (there is a free
    edition out now). However, I am curious why you don't want to run Asterisk
    on Linux?

    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 17, 2006

  3. I don't know about the person who posted the original question, but I'm
    also looking for a PBX that is open source (or open API), and is
    windows based.

    The reason is that I have spent a lot of time developing with Visual
    Sudio, which I find very productive - and very rich in terms of out of
    the box functionality.

    Things may have changed, but 5 years ago I spent a month or two
    converting over to Linux and using the available tool sets for all my
    development. Free sounded very attractive!

    But the development tool set was the real problem. It was like going
    back 10 years or more.

    We do run Asterisk, and think it is great, but we don't do any
    development on it - apart from configuration.

    I'd love to be able to get some better integration between Asterisk and
    our enterprise management system (CRM etc), but I have decided I can't
    be competent in multiple development enviroments.

    Having got hooked on Asterisk, the "free" part is no longer the most
    important part. I'd pay money to be able to easily enhance and/or
    interface with it.

    Robert.

    robert.wilkinson, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Why do you care about Windows? Run http://www.trixbox.org/ on a
    dediacted machine, and you'll be much happier. You have to have a
    dedicated machine anyway, or your PBX isn't going to be very
    reliable...

    William P.N. Smith, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Because I don't have any Linux server, and I'd rather not have to set
    up another host just to route calls. That's why I'm looking at
    free/afordable PBX software for Windows.

    Vincent Delporte, Jul 18, 2006
  6. As someone else pointed out, you will need a dedicated box either way. Good
    luck on your Windows hunt. I have heard that Axon is good but don't know
    anything about it.

    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 19, 2006
  7. Thanks, I'll take a look.

    Vincent Delporte, Jul 19, 2006