  1. How can I reassemble a song split into two-dozen flac files
    downloaded?
    --David

    J David Ellis, Mar 9, 2008

  2. J David Ellis

    Rôgêr Guest

    WTF is a flac file? Anyway, Mastersplitter or any of about five hundred
    other utilities should do it.

    Rôgêr, Mar 9, 2008

  3. Mastersplitter is not happy with the flac files. It gives a
    pop-up: "Couldn't Find the Optional *.001 Information File
    Would you like to Join Without it?" OK. Then "Error Opening
    Piece *.001" "The operation has been canceled."

    I've also tried FLAC Ripper. It uses the cue file, displays
    a lot of info about the flac file seet and issues an error
    message.

    The files are named "...name.1.flac" "...name.2.flac" etc.
    There is no "...name.0.flac" Have I just got a bad set of
    flac files?

    Any chance you could name another utility to try? Thanks for
    the help.

    J David Ellis, Mar 9, 2008
  4. J David Ellis

    Guest

    "FLAC is specifically designed for efficient packing of audio data,
    unlike general lossless algorithms such as ZIP and gzip. While ZIP may
    compress a CD-quality audio file by 10 - 20%, FLAC achieves
    compression rates of 30 - 50% for most music, "
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

    I Only let VLC mess with FLAC codes,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity will join them, you just need to
    do the work, not sure if it has an auto function to piece them
    together.

    , Mar 9, 2008
  5. J David Ellis

    why? Guest

    Ask where you got the files from and how they were split. That's usually
    the easiest as it saves guessing.

    If you don't have too many files it may simply be a batch file join

    copy name.1.flac + name.2.flac > name.flac
    copy name.flac + name.3.flac + name.4.flac > name.flac

    That sort of thing.

    Years ago, the poster of the files generally included a script or .info
    file with the instructions.
    Generally the number has to be at the end name.flac.1 , name.flac.2
    otherwise there is no order to easily join them with.

    Maybe HJSplit?

    http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/
    Win, Amiga, Java versions.

    HJSplit 2.3
    Freeware file-splitter and joiner for Windows XP, Vista, 2000, NT, 95,
    98, ME New release!

    Me

    why?, Mar 9, 2008
  6. My first visit to this forum and i want to thank you all for
    the thoughtful, generous and comprehensive responses. You've
    been a big help to this flac neophyte. --David

    J David Ellis, Mar 9, 2008
  7. J David Ellis

    why? Guest

    YW, but have any of the suggestions worked?

    If so it helps to reply saying so, then the problem & solution appear in
    the thread for the next time.

    Me

    why?, Mar 9, 2008
  8. The denouement is: corrupt flac files. Half a dozen players
    and conversion programs failed to load the files, joined or
    not. Project terminated.
    --David

    J David Ellis, Mar 10, 2008