Software suggestions for research?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by amirh7, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. amirh7

    amirh7 Guest

    Most of my time time at work is spent preparing research reports that
    run 30-50 pages and are based on piles of secondary information.

    I find MS Word pretty useless in helping me organize my material. The
    way I work is usually to come up with general section headings, then
    copy and paste all the source material into the appropriate section as
    an archive. Then I go through the entire document and edit & write it
    up in my own words. Doing this with a flat MS Word document quickly
    becomes frustrating and unwieldy (trying to work with an enormous page
    count).

    I wish there were some kind of tabbed word processor that also allowed
    the user to track the source of their material. I have tried some
    freeware and shareware tabbed word processors, but they seem to include
    a pretty basic feature set (and I'm also worried about crashing and
    losing my work) Is there any good software out there for someone like
    me? Or perhaps an add-on to MS Word for this purpose?

    Many thanks!
    AH

    amirh7, Nov 14, 2005

  2. amirh7

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi AH - You might take a look at KeyNote, here:
    http://www.tranglos.com/free/index.html Further development is being
    discontinued, but the existing v. 1.6.5 is very powerful (it will take you
    awhile just to find out all that it can do) and might meet your
    requirements. Recommended.

    Jim Byrd, Nov 14, 2005

  3. amirh7

    Scraggy Guest