Software is still Not removing its Temp files after a Install.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Nov 6, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    You would have thought we have moved on and Fixed this problem, but no its
    still there.

    In the old days and some times now Window/Temp is used to for the Install
    and is often not cleaned up after a Install, but I think most Windows savvy
    people should know about that, But its not a Hidden System Folder.

    But with modern software and XP is now uses.

    %:\Documents and Settings\**User**\Local Settings\Temp

    But the Problem is that these are System folders and do not normally show,
    unless you set the folder option to show system files/folders.

    So this Temp folder can hold Gigs of Crap left over from lots of Installs.

    Yes I found some 1 gig just today from just one application.

    Some of the clean up tools might help to remove this stuff but I find that
    they are very harmful as the Remove history links and Good Cookies, the ones
    used for logons etc..

    So why after all these year that software does not remove all its temp
    files..?

    XP, Nov 6, 2005

  2. XP

    Impossible Guest

    Short answer, sheer sloppiness on the part of software developers.

    But there's actually a standard tool in XP called "Disk Cleanup" that
    cleans this mess up nicely. I think you'll find it under Start |
    Programs | Accessories | System Tools.

    Impossible, Nov 6, 2005

  3. XP

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Worse still HP/Compaq computers are full of install files in the Temp folder
    right from new. They're too damn lazy to get rid them when being sent out
    for sale.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 6, 2005
  4. XP

    Phstpok Guest

    Or try ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

    A lot quicker than xp's clean tool.

    Phstpok, Nov 6, 2005
  5. XP

    XP Guest

    Why did you not read My Post, this Tool is Dangerous and should not be used
    as it removes good things and stuff up others..

    XP, Nov 6, 2005
  6. XP

    Invisible Guest

    RTFM

    Invisible, Nov 6, 2005
  7. XP

    XP Guest

    But you have never tested it as IT DOES NOT WORK..

    XP, Nov 6, 2005
  8. XP

    Impossible Guest

    Don't be silly! I use the program about once a week. It works
    perfectly.

    Of course, if you've previously screwed up your registry with some
    other cleanup tool, then your results may be different.

    Impossible, Nov 7, 2005
  9. XP

    XP Guest

    NO IT BLOODY DOES NOT

    Just dump some stuff in this Temp Folder..

    That is if you have set the File/Folder options to Display System
    Files/Folders.

    %:\Documents and Settings\**User**\Local Settings\Temp

    I just tested the Damn thing and do know what I am on about

    XP, Nov 7, 2005
  10. XP

    Impossible Guest

    Works for me. And tens of milllions of others users. But you would
    know best, I suppose.

    Go to Control Panel | System | Advanced | Environment Variables and
    confirm that your Temp variable is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Local
    Settings\Temp". If it isn't, then change it, reboot, and try Drive
    Cleanup again.

    Impossible, Nov 7, 2005
  11. XP

    XP Guest

    Crap Cleaner does work but be very careful on what you tick on, as a lot of
    Cookies are good ones.

    XP Disk Cleaner does not, as it does not access the System File/Folders

    XP, Nov 7, 2005
  12. Who cares when you can buy 500gb hdd's?

    I've got more important stuff to worry about.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 7, 2005
  13. XP

    XP Guest

    Yes it is, but it still does not Work..

    XP, Nov 7, 2005
  14. XP

    XP Guest

    What a Stupid Reply, most people do not have 500gig drives

    XP, Nov 7, 2005
  15. XP

    GraB Guest

    Or try ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
    I have used it without problem. You have choices. Select or
    deselect.

    GraB, Nov 7, 2005
  16. XP

    David Guest

    Or, just go Start->Run->"%TEMP%", hit ctrl+A and delete everything. If
    it fails, close your open apps.
    I do this without any problems when i'm getting low on space. It only
    takes about 3 seconds.

    David, Nov 7, 2005
  17. diskspace is cheap as beans these days.

    anyway, shouldn't you be microscanning your harddrive for those 1kb files
    lurking in some hidden directory?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Nov 7, 2005
  18. XP

    XP Guest

    Na, more fun doing it with the 00 in them..

    I am refering to large Files like the other day more than 1 Gig..

    XP, Nov 7, 2005