    Thanks in advance for any links or references.

    Cheers,
    John.

    JohnNews, Dec 3, 2003

  2. JohnNews

    Vinny Abello Guest

    I would hardly call any software Microsoft makes a router. Although I
    can't point you to any documentation, there is no way a Microsoft PC
    could compare to a Cisco router in terms of flexibility. Comparing to
    low end Cisco routers, the Microsoft box would likely forward a lot
    more packets per second than the Cisco possibly could, but on the high
    end the bus on the PC is limited by the PCI bus, unless you're looking
    at PCI-X and then I would look at Linux solutions if you insist on the
    PC doing routing.

    Overall, I would recommend a Cisco in almost all situations over a PC
    though. Just my personal opinion. I don't work for Cisco, but I do
    work for a mid sized ISP.

    Vinny Abello, Dec 4, 2003

  3. JohnNews

    Bernie Guest

    Generally speaking, I agree. But there is a heck of a lot of gear out
    there that is really a PC in a rack mount package. I am not talking
    about L2 switches or routers, but the fancy appliances that are
    becoming very popular such as firewalls, VPN boxes, etc. With today's
    computing power, appliances don't lag too far behind hardware based
    gear in performance, but with the additional benefit of having much
    more flexible L4-7 capabilities.

    --Bernie

    Bernie, Dec 5, 2003