    counter the dulling effect?

    Also do I set my Custom Proof setup before I open my image?

    Thanks for any assistance offered.

    J. Wilson, Oct 23, 2004

  2. J. Wilson

    Bill Hilton Guest

    From: "J. Wilson"
    Most papers have a "whiteness" of 70-90%, a few up to 95% or a little higher.
    'Paper white' dims the image to try to simulate that on a backlit display.
    It's useful in that it should give you a more realistic view of what the print
    will look like.
    You can do this if you want, the best way is to make a new layer set, give it
    the name of the paper type (say '2200 Luster') and save any adjustment layers
    in this layer set. That way you can have multiple layer sets for different
    paper types, turning on only the one you are printing to. I would recommend
    using Curves or maybe Levels adjustment layers for the modifications, avoid the
    Brightness/Contrast command.
    It's covered in the CS Help files a little. The best explanations are in "Real
    World Color Management" by Fraser/Murphy/Bunting where it's discussed at
    length, and in "Real World Photoshop" by Blatner/Fraser where it's discussed a
    bit. And probably in most other books on using Photoshop for photography.
    A lot depends on how well your monitor is profiled, how accurate the ICC
    profile is and whether or not your final print is actually a good match for the
    monitor display. The 'paper white' option doesn't change the way it prints,
    just the way it looks on the screen, so print the image and compare to what you
    see on screen with this option set and turned off and decide whether it's
    accurate or not. In theory you should get a good match between print and
    screen but in reality it depends on the accuracy of your ICC profiles and your
    viewing conditions, and it's hard to get a perfect match.
    If you do you'll still have to actually apply the proof, either with View >
    Proof Colors or with the keyboard shortcut ctrl-y. I don't see any advantage
    to doing this ahead of time unless you always print to the same paper type.
    Hope this helps ... don't get too caught up in this setting, try it and see if
    it accurately reflects what you see on the print. For some profiles it
    probably does, for others it definitely will not. I'm testing a series of
    coated fine art watercolor papers right now and some of the third party
    profiles supplied are pretty bad, especially with the 'paper white' option
    turned on. Your proofs are only as accurate as the profiles.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 23, 2004