Soap Season 1

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by RR, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. RR

    RR Guest

    Hey everybody - I'm new here. It shouldn't be that way...and yet it is.

    I picked up the Soap box (~snicker~) yesterday and now I'm going to get on
    top of it. (Not really.) The only other Columbia Tri-Star TV DVD I've seen
    is "All in the Family" S1, so please forgive if my review is lacking in the
    comparison department.

    Absolutely bare bones DVD. Ain't nothing on this set except 25 episodes. The
    set, against all logic, crams 10 eps apiece on each of the first two discs,
    and 5 eps on Disc 3 - the latter also features a bunch of trailers for other
    product. The sound is an incredibly bland mono and the picture (I guess) is
    about what you'd expect from a videotaped series made in the 70's. There are
    occasional yellow-hued videotape bars/lines that streak across the picture,
    but after a while you just forget about it, 'cause you're so into the show.

    Anytime something like this is announced for DVD release, one tends to get
    excited about the possibilities, so it's always kind of a letdown when the
    final product is as realistically bland as this one is.

    On the plus side? It's the entire first season of "Soap" - and truth be
    told, I'm not gonna complain about that. Not one bit.

    A side note - it's been ~years~ since I've watched this series. The intro is
    a little different than I recall.

    Instead of "This is the story of two sisters - Jessica Tate and Mary
    Campbell....these are the Tates....and these are the Campbells. And this
    is....Soap." - the intro is considerably longer, with Rod Roddy commenting
    on Jessica and Mary's houses and their lifestyles and how both families have
    secrets and how "if Jessica could change one thing about her life, she'd set
    it to song..." Was this always how the first season was? Did the much
    shorter intro come into play with the second season? If anybody knows better
    than I, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

    --
    RR

    If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't
    include the right to experiment with your own consciousness,
    then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
    it was written on. - Terence McKenna

    RR, Sep 17, 2003

  2. I believe the shorter intro came into play around episode 16 or 17.

    Aaron Brezenski, Sep 17, 2003

  3. RR

    RR Guest

    Thanks muchos. I've only made it through episode 6 thus far.

    RR, Sep 18, 2003
  4. RR

    MemphisGuy Guest

    How in the world can they release a sorry series like this on DVD

    YET ...a classic series, NORTHERN EXPOSURE , is still not available on DVD!

    <sigh>

    my 2 cents

    MemphisGuy, Sep 18, 2003
  5. RR

    RR Guest

    Actually, Columbia TriStar did an online poll about 6 or so months back. In
    it, they offered about 30 or 40 different series for consumers to vote on.
    The top 6 or so were chosen and "Soap" was one of the big winners (another
    one was the live-action "Tick" series which will be coming out shortly). So,
    to answer your question, "Soap" is out on DVD because people wanted it to
    be.

    Wade365, Sep 18, 2003
  7. RR

    RR Guest

    It's noteworthy that, as I rewatch the series, it's not *quite* as perfect
    as I remember it. (It has been ~years~ since I've seen it.) It's still very
    fun and watchable, but being as "Soap" was a series that tackled issues,
    much of it comes across as hopelessly dated. A fine example is the
    exploration of homosexuality through Jodie (Billy Crystal) - granted, this
    *was* the first time something like this was done on American TV. But as a
    society, we've moved so far past what is presented in this series, that it
    might even come across as borderline offensive to many people. I can get
    past it, but it's hard not to notice.

    So, as much as I love it, I personally wouldn't call it genius, as it's so
    firmly rooted in the era in which it was made. (To me, true genius is
    timeless and there are a number of aspects of this series that simply are
    not. But that's just me...) Now the individual performances of Richard
    Mulligan, Katherine Helmond and Robert Guillaume are pretty damn genius.

    RR, Sep 18, 2003
  8. RR

    RR Guest

    I should add on to the above. As the series begins, Jodie is contemplating
    getting a sex change operation - not because he feels he should actually be
    a woman, but because he feels it's the only way he can be with his famous
    quarterback lover. A preposterous notion in this day and age - there's also
    the subtle implication that a gay man will be happier if he can be a woman.
    It might be easier to buy into if the character of Jodie was as much of a
    loon as many of the characters on "Soap", but he's not. He's one of the more
    level-headed folk on the show. So whereas this may have been something TV
    audiences of the 70's accepted with no question, today it comes across as
    pretty inane.

    RR, Sep 18, 2003
  9. RR

    SoHillsGuy Guest

    << t might be easier to buy into if the character of Jodie was as much of a
    loon as many of the characters on "Soap", but he's not. He's one of the more
    level-headed folk on the show. >>

    If anyone is actually watching this series for the very first time with the DVD
    release, I think it's also worth noting that it seemed to take Crystal a
    handful of episodes to really figure out the character. He was playing him too
    over-the-top and cliche-ridden in the first handful of episodes, before
    eventually settling into a regular guy who happened to be gay.

    SoHillsGuy, Sep 18, 2003
  10. RR

    jayembee Guest

    It's actually very easy. Aside from the fact that the relative
    merits of the two series are your opinion, not necessarily
    shared by a majority of consumers (me? I don't consider either
    series to be "classic", but I would say that NE deserves it
    less than SOAP), there is the fact that the "they" who released
    SOAP (Columbia) are not the same "they" who have the rights to
    NORTHERN EXPOSURE (Universal).

    Would you really expect Columbia to sit on its hands waiting
    for Universal to release NORTHERN EXPOSURE so that it can
    release SOAP afterwards?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Sep 18, 2003
  11. RR

    Wade365 Guest

    I still remember spitting milk through my nose when the Col. (Jessica's Dad)
    finds out that the detective incharge of the murder investigation is German...
    this was a show with an extremely well put together ensemble cast, dated
    material or not.

    RR, Sep 19, 2003
  13. RR

    RR Guest

    Well they're certainly no "Farscape"...

    (Hey Jerry!)

    RR, Sep 19, 2003
  14. RR

    RR Guest

    I'd never argue that. All my real point was (even though I took a very
    roundabout way to make it) is that memory often cheats, and "Soap" thus far
    has been no exception.

    RR, Sep 19, 2003
  15. RR

    eb Guest

    I've just watched the first three episodes and think the show remains
    as terrific as I remember it. The deranged Major asking Benson to
    "sing me a song, boy" is outrageous, and in all the praise for the
    regular cast, please don't overlook amazing character actor Richard
    Libertini as "The Godfather." It should also be remembered that even
    without extras, the DVD set is a great value, as it presents the
    complete episodes rather than the now-televised butchered syndicated
    versions with a few minutes shaved off, when it is televised at all.

    The picture quality, though, is a problem. The entire picture has a
    yellowish-green hue, and yellow horizontal bars are constantly
    visible. In the opening episode, there is a close up of Billy Crystal
    grinning, and his entire forehead has a yellow-green bar across it.
    Very annoying.

    eb, Sep 19, 2003
  16. RR

    salmoneous Guest

    "RR
    Keep in mind that Soap, like most series, took awhile to find its
    groove. But the run from the end of S1 through S2 is just about as
    good as any sitcom ever got. Sadly, its also like so many shows in
    that it declined and was pretty much unwatchable at the end.

    It's also a great show to watch to see the evolution of American
    television. Soap was the NYPD Blue of its day, pushing the envelope as
    to what was acceptable. Flash forward to today, with Will and Grace
    reruns in the 7:00-8:00 slot and things sure have changed.

    salmoneous, Sep 23, 2003