    matter what sensors, they are in the damn camera, not in the lens... I
    would thing you could put any lens (provided you have a way to mount it)
    and it would work... but apparently not. WHY???

    fake name, Feb 29, 2004

  2. The older lenses in both Nikon and Pentax use a mechanical coupling to tell
    the camera what the aperture setting is. The *ist D will function in stop
    down metering mode, and I understand from the Peentax Rep (who has used M42
    screwmount lenses) that you can create a custom mode to do just what you
    suggest. This is not as useful as having electronic feedback to the camera,
    but yes the Pentax is more backwards compatible than the D70. BTW the * ist
    D is closer to the Nikon D100, than the D70 is function and features.

    ~ Darrell Larose ~, Feb 29, 2004

  3. fake name

    fake name Guest

    BTW to your BTW: why is D70 being regarded as inferior to D100? it is
    newer, has much faster shutter/flsh sync and large buffer. The only
    thing missing is the mirror lock-up, right? or is it crippled in other
    ways?

    fake name, Feb 29, 2004
  4. fake name

    John O. Guest

    D100: Metal body, pentaprism, TIFF, expanded ISO, optional vertical grip.

    D70: Plastic body, pentamirror, no TIFF, no expanded ISO, no vertical grip.

    John O., Feb 29, 2004
  5. Cheaper body, no cable release, DOF preview?

    It's missing a number of things, but I still ordered one.
    Ideally, to me, would be a D100 with the D70's new lower noise sensor.
    It should fit right in.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Feb 29, 2004
  6. fake name

    Dave Guest

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/

    Not sure about mirror lock-up. Says it is intended for cleaning (Page 8).

    Dave, Feb 29, 2004