SO should I dual boot, since my system doesn't work?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I figured x64 had been out for a while, ought to be stable. Last system I
    bought I figured why not, now it seems every thing I try fails badly.

    I have a fujitsu 15C scanner - no 64 bit drivers
    Samsung color duplex printer - no duplex
    PDF EFX print drivers, broke, buy some new ones or wait
    Bluetooth adapter, no drivers
    Windows fax, won't pull addresses from outlook

    So at this point it seems my easiest option is to buy another hard drive and
    dual boot to XP Pro when I want to get work done, or boot to x64 when I want
    to use a solid 64 bit OS that doesn't work.

    I might seem a little nasty, but I am kinda frustrated. I have some other
    issues, but if I could at least get the scanner working I can quit thinking
    of it as a paper wieght. I think the printer issue will be resolved soon
    enough, and as for Microsoft Fax I am thinking about buying a "real
    solution", or get it working somehow.

    If anyone has a workaround for the scanpartner 15C I would be forever
    grateful.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Unfortunately, the Fujitsu 64-bit driver is the responsibility of Fujitsu.
    The OS is solid as a rock.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Yes, I would dual boot.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks for your reply, I do understand hardware vendors are responsible for
    their own drivers, I still belive Microsoft's X64 is not quite ready for
    prime time. On the Microsoft site they are feverishly marketing X64 and list
    the top 5 reasons why to deploy, they forget to mention the many reasons why
    businesses can't afford it. I am suprised Microsoft hasn't created a
    compatibility mode or some way to run 32 bit drivers while we wait for the
    manufacturers to catch up.
    Thanks again for your reply, I klnow I feel better, I was really just
    loooking to vent - although I would love to find aswers.

    Guest, Dec 4, 2005
  5. 32-bit drivers do not run by design. XP64 is more than ready for prime
    time, but not as a consumer OS. It is simply not the latest and greatest
    consumer product. It meets the demands of the professional market for a
    64-bit client OS for workstations and high end desktops where the greater
    headroom of the 64-bit processors is valuable and where memory constraints
    were cramping several classes of professional software. I have not seen a
    fervency to market this OS. It isn't even available in a boxed edition to
    market.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree with Colin, since Microsoft is NOT pushing this product in the
    marketplace, it is a catch 22, where the installed base is too tiny for many
    consumer oriented products (both hardware and software) to support it.
    There is a webcast by Charlie Russel - MVP on whom this system is
    appropriate for.

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Guest

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Hi Colin, it's Colin... (ever felt you are talking to yourself lol!)

    Ok, being serious, totally agree with all the points you have made bar one.

    I suppose that in the main, I've been lucky as, with this machine it's come
    down to just a webcam and a scanner that doesn't work through lack of 64bit
    drivers. Everything else just seems to work "out of the box". Admittedly, I
    had to fool it to get my Epson Photo Stylus Color 915 working (by installing
    the included Epson 870 driver with which its backwards compatible) but the
    long list of "stuff" hooked into this machine works. Even my Skype Cordless
    DECT phone (USB & PSTN connections) worked which surprised me...

    Ok then, what's the "bar one"? Well, I suppose it's me being facetious but
    its the "boxed edition" bit I would split hairs on. Yes, I know, it's OEM
    but if you meant "does it come in a nice large shrink wrapped box that
    wastes a HUGE amount of space for the actual CD inside" (lol!) then I guess
    it's no but it's not as if it comes in a paper sleeve along with the
    (qualifying) hard drive you bought either. Mine was bought and came in a
    puka dvd style case which was fully printed by MS with all the usual
    holographic stuff and license sticker on the outside. I'd say that that's
    "available to market" in a way....

    Colin

    Colin Nowell, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Guest

    John Barnes Guest

    Unfortunately, the large shrink wrapped package wasn't big enough for me not
    to misplace (lose) it :-(

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  9. I was thinking of 'marketing' as advertising. I have not seen any and don't
    expect to.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 4, 2005
  10. Guest

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Fair point.

    Colin Nowell, Dec 4, 2005
  11. Guest

    Colin Nowell Guest

    Oh dear....

    Colin Nowell, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I dunno, when I went to the homepage for x64,
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx I saw nothing but good.
    I realize no-one should shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to
    software sales, but for some reason in my mind ready for prime time maens
    "works"! I hope the vendors get to work and create drivers that work soon,
    but Microsoft can afford to write drivers. They work on drivers for
    prefferred vendors and made sure to support enough video cards to display
    their logo at startup. I am just a little disappointed once again in what
    seems to be a rush to market at consumers expense. In case it matters, it
    took me 3 tries to get a modem that only works 80% of the time, so if you are
    paying attention my scanner doesn't work, my modem works sometimes, my
    printer works halfway and for no reason at all, Internet explorer won't
    recieve focus unless you close all windows above it - (wierd). I've been
    pretty patient and am getting tired of waiting for it to work. I will just
    go out and buy another copy of XPPro and a couple hard drives and get it over
    with, just a pain and I feel betrayed once again.

    Guest, Dec 8, 2005
  13. It wasn't rushed to market at any consumer's expense. It was never offered
    to consumers. It was released to meet needs in specialized markets. The
    only 'consumers' who can even find it are enthusiasts like us who know how
    to find such things.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 8, 2005
  14. MS doesn't write drivers for other folks hardware. MS works with vendors to
    help them write drivers, certainly. But the drivers are the vendors
    responsibility.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64