So I just did a repair install of XP....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2014.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 21/04/2014 7:40 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >> On 21/04/2014 6:56 p.m., Your Name wrote:
    >>

    >>> The fuller sequence is:
    >>>
    >>> - very few people know about open source
    >>> - very very few of those will know how to compile it
    >>> - very very very few of those will actually read the code
    >>> - very very very very few of of those will understand the code
    >>> - only a very small perctentage of those will change it
    >>>
    >>> Amounts to about 0.0000000001% of the computer users in the world.
    >>>
    >>> Most open source is more about keeping the conspiracy nutters and
    >>> nerdy hackers happy than any real use for most people.
    >>>

    >> For once I agree with you !
    >>
    >> geoff

    > Its quite popular among amateurs like Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook,
    > Twitter, CERNs LHC, ICANN, Boeing, LG, Samsung, Ubiquiti, Ruckus, WD,
    > Asterisk etc
    > And phone users, robotics, 3d printers, cars
    > And NASA, SpaceX, General Atomics
    >
    > The Linux kernel has some fairly nerdy hackers alright.
    >
    > http://www.extremetech.com/computin...-develops-linux-the-answer-might-surprise-you
    >
    > But pretend you're not using open source.

    <spits> So we're back to posts by OS fanbois and Linux Day Adventists?

    There's nothing new under the sun. As if we haven't had variations on this
    theme many times in the last couple of decades....

    Start your own thread extolling the virtues of open source software please -
    don't hi-jack my thread. Oh, what's that you say? Nobody would read it?
    Well, doesn't that tell you something in itself?
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Apr 26, 2014

  2. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 27/04/2014 1:17 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:

    > <spits>

    Nasty

    So we're back to posts by OS fanbois and Linux Day Adventists?

    > There's nothing new under the sun. As if we haven't had variations on this
    > theme many times in the last couple of decades....
    >
    > Start your own thread extolling the virtues of open source software please -
    > don't hi-jack my thread. Oh, what's that you say? Nobody would read it?
    > Well, doesn't that tell you something in itself?

    I didn't hijack your thread, whoever you are, get off your high horse
    and read the previous posts.

    victor, Apr 27, 2014

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 27/04/2014 1:17 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >

    >> <spits>

    > Nasty
    >
    > So we're back to posts by OS fanbois and Linux Day Adventists?
    >>
    >> There's nothing new under the sun. As if we haven't had variations
    >> on this theme many times in the last couple of decades....
    >>
    >> Start your own thread extolling the virtues of open source software
    >> please - don't hi-jack my thread. Oh, what's that you say? Nobody
    >> would read it? Well, doesn't that tell you something in itself?
    >>

    > I didn't hijack your thread, whoever you are, get off your high horse
    > and read the previous posts.

    I have read the previous posts - for the last 20 odd years - and I thought
    we'd got past the days when, whenever someone posts wanting help with
    Windows some areshole starts spouting off about how wonderful open source
    software is and how superior to Windows....

    Like I said, same song, different year.

    ~misfit~, Apr 27, 2014
  4. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 27/04/2014 11:24 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    >> On 27/04/2014 1:17 a.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>

    >>> <spits>

    >> Nasty
    >>
    >> So we're back to posts by OS fanbois and Linux Day Adventists?
    >>>
    >>> There's nothing new under the sun. As if we haven't had variations
    >>> on this theme many times in the last couple of decades....
    >>>
    >>> Start your own thread extolling the virtues of open source software
    >>> please - don't hi-jack my thread. Oh, what's that you say? Nobody
    >>> would read it? Well, doesn't that tell you something in itself?
    >>>

    >> I didn't hijack your thread, whoever you are, get off your high horse
    >> and read the previous posts.

    > I have read the previous posts - for the last 20 odd years - and I thought
    > we'd got past the days when, whenever someone posts wanting help with
    > Windows some areshole starts spouting off about how wonderful open source
    > software is and how superior to Windows....
    >
    > Like I said, same song, different year.

    You are mistaken
    I'm a Windows user.
    However open source software is what makes current computing
    infrastructure possible as Enkidu said.

    victor, Apr 27, 2014
  5. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    On 28/04/14 10:25, victor wrote:
    > On 27/04/2014 11:24 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:

    >>> Nasty
    >>>
    >>> So we're back to posts by OS fanbois and Linux Day Adventists?

    >>> I didn't hijack your thread, whoever you are, get off your high horse
    >>> and read the previous posts.

    >> I have read the previous posts - for the last 20 odd years - and I
    >> thought
    >> we'd got past the days when, whenever someone posts wanting help with
    >> Windows some areshole starts spouting off about how wonderful open source
    >> software is and how superior to Windows....
    >>
    >> Like I said, same song, different year.
    >>

    > You are mistaken
    > I'm a Windows user.
    > However open source software is what makes current computing
    > infrastructure possible as Enkidu said.

    I don't think it was me, but I agree with the sentiment.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 28, 2014
  6. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 28/04/2014 6:57 p.m., geoff wrote:
    > On 28/04/2014 10:25 a.m., victor wrote:
    >

    >> You are mistaken
    >> I'm a Windows user.
    >> However open source software is what makes current computing
    >> infrastructure possible as Enkidu said.

    > It doesn't "make it possible". It just happens to be one of the tools
    > used by those organisations. There are alternatives both possible and
    > actually used.
    >
    > geoff

    whatever, apparently its a forbidden subject

    victor, Apr 28, 2014