    non-professionals. :-/

    I'd love some advice. I'm supposed to be handing the box back tonight.

    TIA.

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2014

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Grrr!!! Google doesn't want to cooperate with me on the subject either.
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2014

  3. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    There was a recent survey that "found" that many IT professionals are
    recommending Apple computers to family and friends simply so that they
    then aren't asked to be the free tech support and deal with any
    problems.

    Of course it's not easy. If it was easy, then tech cupport people
    wouldn't be able to charge horrendous amounts.

    Your Name, Apr 14, 2014
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Call me naive but I thought there might be an autorun on the DVD - a bit
    like the CDs of XP sp2 and 3. Something that would detect your OS and what
    updates were needed. I mean, it *is* an ISO after all...

    Also I bet there are a few thousand XP users who are looking for something
    like this as well.

    Damn! Two hours until he picks it up and I can't update it past sp3. :-/
    The boxen has a W7 Pro COA on it but the software he runs (tractor parts
    lists etc.) doesn't run on anything later than XP. Oh, before anyone
    suggests it the machine doesn't have enough RAM to run XP in a virtual
    machine under 7 and even if it did he'd not know how to do it.

    Oh well... Looks like he'll get an non-updated machine and have to put up
    with ESET NOD 32 raising it's ugly head every hour reminding him of the
    fact.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2014
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    [snip]
    Going to try WSUS offline update...

    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2014
  6. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    Did you look for setup.exe? There's usually one.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 14, 2014
  7. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    I never said anything ot the kind.

    I simply reported what a survery had supposedly found ... presumably
    the IT person recommends Apple computers os that they can then just say
    "I don't know about Apple" whenever the family / friend asks for help.

    Your Name, Apr 14, 2014
  8. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    And another dimbulb with reading comprehension issues joins the
    killfile. :-\

    Your Name, Apr 14, 2014
  9. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    That is not what I said, nor what the survey "results" said - it has
    nothing to do with how reliable Apple computers are, but simply the
    fact that the IT person can easily opt out of being the free tech
    support for family / friends by saying they don't know about Apple
    computers.

    Your Name, Apr 14, 2014
  10. I just say I don't know about windows computers. :) Works just the same
    without iAnything being involved. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 15, 2014
  11. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    Doesn't really work when your day job is a "Windows Tech Support"
    person. Although, you could probably still do that with techno-novice
    family / friends.

    Your Name, Apr 15, 2014
  12. True, though why family and friends would expect you to do your day job for
    nothing for them escapes me somewhat. Maybe I just have better friends ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 15, 2014
  13. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    Ms Bug here, like the ANZ I live in your world.
    Now is the time to explain that a backup has no value when it is done but it
    can rise faster in value that a saturn 5 rocket.

    Do you have a back up Mate?

    No?

    Then I shall show you how, and you will soon know why, to do them.

    Help them out of the sticky stuff is wrong on many levels. Why do we not
    show Tuff Love?

    What (s)he have insurured in their world? Backups are nothing than insurance
    on one level.
    So

    a) How did it go?

    b) See above.
    b)

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2014
  14. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    Careful. Iapple wants the users $ in large amounts. So a mere half hour per
    week will not cover it :)

    The point here, Gentle Reader, is that the source is avaliable freely.

    If this is so then anyone is able to build upon it to make something better.
    Do we not all aspirse to this? Money, or not amybe involved.

    Gordon, Apr 21, 2014
  15. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    Compiling from source is a mugs game. I've done it in the past, but I
    decided that it would only be necessary if a) I ever looked at the code,
    and b) I actually ever changed anything.
    Very very very few people actually will read the code. Only a very very
    small percentage of that number of people will change it.

    It's not money. It's ability and desire. Few people are competent
    programmers and few people actually desire to change it.

    The fact that a few people tumble through the above sieve is all that
    keep the Open Source movement alive (thank the little gods).

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 21, 2014
  16. ~misfit~

    Your Name Guest

    <snip>

    The fuller sequence is:

    - very few people know about open source
    - very very few of those will know how to compile it
    - very very very few of those will actually read the code
    - very very very very few of of those will understand the code
    - only a very small perctentage of those will change it

    Amounts to about 0.0000000001% of the computer users in the world.

    Most open source is more about keeping the conspiracy nutters and nerdy
    hackers happy than any real use for most people.

    Your Name, Apr 21, 2014
  17. ~misfit~

    Enkidu Guest

    Of course it is of real use for most people. The Heartbleed bug shows
    that. Millions of corporates who use, directly or indirectly OpenSSL
    were caught out.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 21, 2014
  18. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm in a bit of a sticky situation with this particular relative though.
    He's a mechanic and while I've worked in the industry myself and understand
    most non-proprietary auto stuff my back doesn't allow me to do the stuff
    that requires physical input. Also because of the back's effect on income I
    have an old car and can't afford to pay mechanics.

    So, while I very rarely need his help it's a Quid Pro Quo situation. Add to
    that the fact he's older than I am even (!) but, unlike me didn't have a
    need to get into computing earlier than most and it's touchy. He says "I
    haven't got the time to learn all that stuff and I'm getting too old to
    start anyway. People don't learn how to fix their cars they bring them to me
    and I don't want to learn how to fix my computer..."

    I try pointing out that backing up etc's not like stripping an engine, it's
    like doing an oil change. He says that these days people don't do oil
    changes, cars have a light that comes on when it's time and they book them
    in - and why can't computers be like that? He has a point and, despite the
    fact he's in full-time employment he's not well off enough to be able to
    afford fancy gear that could be set up to automate backups etc. Heck! He's
    not rich enout to take his computer in to get fixed.

    It all went fine as soon as I downloaded and installed the upgraded Windows
    Update Agent file linked to here:
    https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=126566 and then
    installed IE8. Once that was done Windows Update worked just as well as it
    always used to - a little bubble opened telling me updates were available
    for my computer.

    Not a moment too soon either - he arrived to pick it up just as I was
    re-starting it for the second time after downloading screeds of udates.

    But do you know what I find is the biggest problem cause with most computers
    I get to work on? (Bearing in mind that it's not many now and they're mostly
    older.) It's free programmes and add-ons like Avasts AV and Flash that
    piggy-back other free shite on their installs. Unless you read all of the
    install screens and untick most boxes (but not all as some are "I have read
    and understand..." - just to confuse you) and then do custom installs so
    un-needed advertising bots don't get installed you get bombarded with pop-up
    crap designed to scare you into parting with money - or taking your PC to
    your friendly free support person. :-/

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Apr 22, 2014
  19. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    Its quite popular among amateurs like Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook,
    Twitter, CERNs LHC, ICANN, Boeing, LG, Samsung, Ubiquiti, Ruckus, WD,
    Asterisk etc
    And phone users, robotics, 3d printers, cars
    And NASA, SpaceX, General Atomics

    The Linux kernel has some fairly nerdy hackers alright.

    http://www.extremetech.com/computing/175919-who-actually-develops-linux-the-answer-might-surprise-you

    But pretend you're not using open source.

    victor, Apr 26, 2014
  20. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    We all do.