    Used to be able to do that with TWAIN drivers in PC cameras, but
    most do not come with that anymore.
    What are the alternatives now?

    Paul Lee, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Many of todays cameras let you do the same via USB. I know for
    certain that the Canon G5 has this ability (since I've done it),
    but I believe it is quite common.

    Check out the specs of the models you otherwise like.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Many Olympus cameras have the ability to take pictures under control of a
    computer. Olympus generally does not include this software as part of the
    package, but I think you can order it somewhere. There is a third party tool
    that does this too: http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp.

    I believe most of the DSLRs have similar features, and maybe the high end
    prosumers.

    If you are using Linux, the gphoto2 tools (http://www.gphoto.org) supports many
    cameras that use PTP.

    Michael Meissner, Aug 4, 2004