    configuration entries required, no fixups or access-lists or whatever,
    right?

    thx, in advance.

    joeblow, Jun 8, 2004

  2. :I want to send the occasional email alert from our inside (inside
    :security100) to outside (security0). Outside is connected to the DSL.
    :Since I'm going from inside to outside, there shouldn't be any
    :configuration entries required, no fixups or access-lists or whatever,
    :right?

    It depends how you have configured.

    If you are starting with a factory default 506E and your inside traffic
    is in the 192.168.1/24 subnet, then, Yes, It Should Just Work. But if
    you have configured anything on your 506E then you might have
    restricted your ability to go out.

    If you do NOT have an access-group applied to your inside interface,
    then the minimum you need is a nat (inside) 1 0 0 statement along
    with a global (outside) 1 interface statement

    You do NOT need fixups for outgoing SMTP. You -might- need to change an
    existing access-list if your existing list does not permit the SMTP
    outwards.

    Note: if you want SMTP to work properly, you should be sure to have a
    valid reverse DNS entry for your outside IP address. You should
    also read up and decide how you want to handle the IDENT protocol,
    which won't prevent SMTP from working [usually!] but can slow it
    down a lot.

    Walter Roberson, Jun 8, 2004