    The drive is a Seagate and I have XP.

    Why is it not enabled, should I enable the drive?

    Thanx

    Chris S, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Chris S

    Nick Guest

    Always a good idea to enable it

    Nick, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Chris S

    Trollslayer Guest

    Nick<> spewed forth with the following
    drivel:

    :: Always a good idea to enable it

    And you make that assumption based on what? Bawawawahahahaha! I can't
    believe some of the drivel here.

    Buster

    Trollslayer, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Chris S

    rcm Guest

    Why drivel? I always enable SMART. I had a harddrive warn me in SMART that
    is was going bad, I downloaded the manufacturers diags to test it, it
    passed. I rebooted, the next day SMART said it was having problems again.
    I reran the manufacturers diags, it failed. I rebooted to get my data off
    but the drive died before I could do something about it.

    Moral of this story. Enable SMART, believe it right away if it says it is
    going bad. Get your important stuff off, then fart around with diags
    knowing you are safe. As a further extension of this, if you ever suspect
    your drive is acting strange, back it up right away as you won't get much
    time if it is dieing. I won't talk about regular backups, I fail at that.

    BTW, does SMART have any significant overhead running. I am sure there is
    something overhead wise but what.

    rcm, Jul 9, 2003
  5. Chris S

    Matt Guest

    "Do some research."

    No research necessary, Smart errors are very rare but it does work,
    why don't you let us all know what "drivel" you know about it???

    Matt, Jul 9, 2003
  6. Chris S

    Matt Guest

    Theres a program called "Active SMART" that monitors your drive during
    windows.

    Matt, Jul 9, 2003
  7. Chris S

    DeMoN_LaG Guest

    SMART has been telling me for like two years that my 30 gig Maxtor is
    dying. Throughout this time, 2 other drives have died, neither one of them
    was reported by SMART, and to this day my Maxtor is still kicking along
    without a single bad sector and passing all diagnostics flawlessly.

    DeMoN_LaG, Jul 9, 2003
  8. Chris S

    rcm Guest

    Interesting. And you ran the Maxtor Diags that passed it. Personally from
    my experience (bad) I would be nervous running the drive. To each his own.

    rcm, Jul 9, 2003
  9. Chris S

    DeMoN_LaG Guest

    I wouldn't hesitate to run it. I've had a drive that was failed and
    couldn't read or write anything pass a SMART diagnostic, and I have had
    drives that fail SMART not die for over 3 years. It doesn't work.

    DeMoN_LaG, Jul 10, 2003
  10. Chris S

    sqr Guest

    The hard drive will take a slight hit in performance when it is enabled.

    --
    sqr
    Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

    sqr, Jul 10, 2003
  11. Chris S

    Trollslayer Guest

    sqr<> spewed forth with the following drivel:

    :: The hard drive will take a slight hit in performance when it is
    :: enabled.
    ::
    :: --
    :: sqr
    :: Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp

    I've been trying to elude to that. Telling them to do some research. It's
    useless and a useless drain on your PC. But the heads in here are a little
    thick.

    Buster

    Trollslayer, Jul 10, 2003
  12. Chris S

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    FYI, I meant to write "It doesn't work right all the time", but I was
    typing this from my laptop and my girlfriend was laying on my lap and you
    know how women can make your mind wander from what you are doing, and thus
    it sounded like I was saying SMART is worthless, which I don't think it is.

    DeMoN LaG, Jul 10, 2003
  13. Chris S

    Nick Guest

    to reduce the risk of data loss. I can't believe some of the morons on
    here!!

    Nick, Jul 10, 2003
  14. Chris S

    Trollslayer Guest

    sqr<> spewed forth with the following drivel:

    :: Nick shut up already, DO NOT I SAY AGAIN DO NOT enable SMART as the
    :: drive does take a hit in performance. The Hard drive will always
    :: give you a hint that something is amiss even when in windows and a
    :: good computer user should know the signs and act appropriately
    :: before it dies.
    ::
    :: --
    :: sqr
    :: Overseer: alt.os.windows-xp
    :: --
    :: ftp://sqr.myftp.biz
    ::
    ::
    :: ::: to reduce the risk of data loss. I can't believe some of the
    ::: morons on here!!
    :::
    ::: --
    ::: -----------
    ::: Nick
    ::: in message :::: Nick<> spewed forth with the
    :::: following drivel:
    ::::
    :::::: Always a good idea to enable it
    ::::
    :::: And you make that assumption based on what? Bawawawahahahaha! I
    :::: can't believe some of the drivel here.
    ::::
    :::: Buster

    I'm afraid you're wasting your words on that idiot. He don't understand
    anything anyway.

    Buster

    Trollslayer, Jul 11, 2003