    What is the smallest IOS based router which has 3 Ethernet Interfaces?

    Thanks,
    Christian

    Christian Lox, Mar 20, 2006

  2. I don't know about the smallest, but if I understand correctly, the
    837 has a four-port switch, one port of which can be changed into
    a full LAN interface.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 20, 2006

  3. Christian Lox

    Merv Guest

    What is the smallest IOS based router which has 3 Ethernet Interfaces?

    1. interface types - routed or just switched or a mix ?

    2. if just switched - 1 VLAN or multiple VLANs ?

    Merv, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Christian Lox

    Merv Guest

    Cisco SB 101 Small Business Secure Broadband Router

    CISCOSB101-K9

    Note only support RIP routing

    Key Features
    Functionalities VPN Pass-Thru · Firewall · DHCP Server
    Connectivity Wired
    Interfaces
    Built-In 4-port Built-In Switch
    LAN Interfaces 10/100 Base-T
    Standards and Protocols
    LAN Standards Ethernet (802.3) · Fast Ethernet (802.3u)
    Protocols ARP · ATM · DHCP · PPP · PPPoA · PPPoE · TCP
    Routing Protocols RIP Version 1 · RIP Version 2
    Management Protocol SNMP · HTTP · Telnet
    Firewall / VPN
    Firewall Features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) · NAT
    VPN Protocols IPSec Pass-Thru · PPTP Pass-Thru · L2TP Pass-Thru
    Authentication RADIUS · TACACS+ · PAP (UPAP) · CHAP
    Modem
    DSL Standards ADSL Full Rate (G.DMT ITU G.992.1)
    Other Features
    LED Indicators Status · WAN · Link (Per Port)
    Additional Features Auto Crossover (MDI/MDI-X)
    Memory
    Installed RAM 64 MB
    Installed Flash Memory 12 MB
    Dimensions
    Width 9.7 in.
    Depth 8.5 in.
    Height 2 in.
    Weight 1.5 lb.
    Miscellaneous
    MPN CISCOSB101K9

    Merv, Mar 20, 2006
  5. Christian Lox

    AM Guest

    831 with a particular IOS can have up to 3 interfaces.

    1 WAN e4 (? - i don't know how it is called)
    1 Ethernet (normally linked to the 4 switch ports) e0
    1 Ethernet (linked, when put in no shutdown mode, to FastEthernet 4)
    I used an 837 as a ethernet router substaining rates up to 2 Mbits/sec (due to bandwidth limitation on a router behind
    the 837)

    HTH alex

    AM, Mar 20, 2006
  6. Hi!
    Thanks fpr all input so far.
    I need routed interfaces.
    I think I will go with a used 1720 with 2 WIC-1ENET.

    Christian

    Christian Lox, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Ah, you're in Germany; if I understand correctly, the law there
    requires that the software be transferable. Most places in the world,
    you would encounter the problem that the software license does not
    [normally] transfer when an IOS router is sold; by the time you
    pay the fee to "relicense" IOS from Cisco, an 83x would likely be
    less expensive.

    Even in your location where [if I understand correctly] you are
    entitled to continue to use the license that is already on the
    machine, if you find that you need to upgrade to a newer IOS version,
    the cost to do so could be high, depending on the features you need.
    It probably is not -so- bad for a 1700 series, but by the time of
    the 3600 series it can be a big expense.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 22, 2006