    Dim newbie questions, I know, but thanks for your indulgence.

    Cheers,

    Martin

    Vulpes Argenteus (formerly M), Jan 30, 2004

  2. think through what firewall you need, as the number of proper
    firewalls in modem/router boxes is small.

    you can get a wireless thing to plug your printer into, like the
    D-link DP-311P http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=174

    or a DI-714P+ http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=19 wireless + 4 port
    wired router which has a printer port and includes a firewall "The
    DI-714P+ also features a Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewall
    which helps to protect against Denial of Service (DoS) attacks such as
    SYN Flood, Spoofing, and Ping of Death"

    this would need an ADSL ethernet modem or router with an ethernet
    connection for the wireless unit, sometihnk like
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=67
    if one computer is next to the modem/router you may as well plug it in
    directly, and use wireless for the other one.

    You can get USB wireless cards for the PCs, or a PCI one to go inside
    (may put the aerial in a poor location) or an ethernet one if the PC
    has an ethernet card. Scroll down
    http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=1

    No recommendation for Dlink implied, just a useful source of info on
    what's available.

    you can also get an adsl modem / wireless access point / SPI firewall
    in a combined unit like
    http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.asp?view=

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jan 30, 2004

  3. That's really useful, Phil - I'll start reading. Thanks very much

    Rgds,

    Martin

    Vulpes Argenteus (formerly M), Jan 30, 2004
  4. Im no expert, and am looking at doing the same myself.

    I read an article in Personal Compter World this month that suggested that
    Wireless technology is still relatively immature, with faster variants on
    the way. Also the achieved throughput is not what you would expect, (What
    size files will you be shovelling around ? ) plus in my opinion its just too
    expensive.

    I have decided to go wired, using an ADSL Modem/Router. You can get one for
    about 60 quid, plus a tenner for the network cards, giving the 10/100 speed.
    The wireless equivalent is about £123 + £50 for a single wireless card, for
    a slower network speed. OK it is wireless, but once you have run the cable
    you dont need to do it again !

    Just my opinion.....;-)

    Jonathan Bishop, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Cheers and thanks !

    Vulpes Argenteus (formerly M), Feb 1, 2004
  6. Vulpes Argenteus (formerly M)

    Jay Guest

    Wireless is appealing to people as they can avoid the wires. It
    really isn't difficult to run the wires and the resulting network is
    (a) much faster, (b) much more reliable and (c) much more secure.

    In a couple of years wireless will have improved a lot, and those
    wired network points you install now will still be useful for
    attaching WAPs to your network.

    Just my opinion too :)

    jay

    Jay, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Vulpes Argenteus (formerly M)

    Geoff Lane Guest

    Good opinion, WiFi is nowhere near as good as the manufacturers would
    have you believe it is.

    I've got a mixed network and WiFi is fine for internet sharing but the
    speed can be quite low (Still faster than 512kbps though).

    I can get a 40pc loss of pings to a next door room as well so my
    suggestion is, don't expect too much and you wont be disappointed.

    Geoff Lane
    Welwyn Hatfield Computer Club - Hertfordshire, UK
    www.whcc.co.uk - Online facilities for non locals

    Geoff Lane, Feb 2, 2004