Small Point and Shoot Help Needed

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by song.exe, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. song.exe

    song.exe Guest

    I'm looking for a cheap point-and-shoot camera that is small and easy
    to carry around (basically, an good entry-level small camera). It
    should be under 350 USD (I'm in Canada though, where cameras like the
    Fuji F30 cost 450+ CAD; I'm near the US/Canadian border, so if any B&M
    stores are offering good prices, by all means, speak up!). Previously,
    I owned the Canon A510, which suited me well, however there were a few
    things about it that I did not like:

    a) Size - It felt much too big and heavy for something that needed to
    be pocketable
    b) Batteries - I may be in the minority for this, but I acutally prefer
    NOT having 4 X AA batteries as they add a lot of extra weight and size
    c) LCD screen was small, and hard to see in moderately high amounts of
    light

    Also, there are some basic things that I'm looking for in a camera. In
    no particular order...

    a) 4 mp + (pretty much any new camera fits this already)
    b) Minimum 3X Optical Zoom (most cameras fit this too)
    c) 2.0" + LCD Screen (2.5" prefered)
    d) Long Battery Life (350+ shots per charge is prefered)
    e) Included (but probably proprietary) battery with included charger (a
    must)
    f) Optical Viewfinder
    g) USB Connection to a computer (almost a must - I hate having to lug
    around a dock in order to download pictures)

    Based on what I've seen, the only camera that fits the bill for these
    specs are the Sony W-series (specifically the W50).

    Does anyone a) have an opinion on this camera, or b) have a suggestion
    for another similarly priced/featured camera?

    Thanks for reading!

    song.exe, Sep 15, 2006

  2. song.exe

    irwell Guest

    You will find the W50 fits the bill, I have the W100 and it
    is a little jewel, before that I had the W1, similar features,
    built like the proverbial brick outhouse.
    The battery is long lasting too.

    irwell, Sep 15, 2006

  3. song.exe

    Stewy Guest

    The Fuji F440/450 (440 is 4mpxl, 450 is 5) fits the bill too. They have
    a two-way charger either directly or via the dock. They use xD cards
    with a Lithium ion battery - 7.5 x 6cm and 2cm thick (switched off) has
    a tripod bush too.
    I bought 2 F440s last year and use them as a stereo camera or just carry
    one as a 'carry everywhere'.

    Stewy, Sep 16, 2006
  4. song.exe

    bugbear Guest

    You'll be happy that your Canon a510 only needs 2 AA batteries then...

    BugBear (slightly baffled)

    bugbear, Sep 20, 2006