Small network setup at a datacenter facility

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gio-PC, Jul 9, 2008.

  1. Gio-PC

    Gio-PC Guest

    Hello,

    We are planning to get a rack at a datacenter and get our own 100Mbit
    ethernet uplink from 2 providers.

    Provider #1 - Cogentco.com - cheap bandwidth, main provider of IPs
    Provider #2 - Datacenter - Expensive bandwidth backup

    I would like to be able to run BGP. However, this is a 10 server
    setup, I don't have the funds to purchase one of those new $5,000
    cisco switches that will do Level 3.

    Are there any retired switches from Cisco/Juniper that will allow me
    to run BGP and VLANs at a very low entry cost (sub $1,000) thinking of
    getting it used at ebay. Some people have recommended me the 48 port
    Cisco 3550 EMI version for this. I don't know what will happen if I
    need more than 48 ports (servers have 3 network drops each, one for
    KVM 1IP, one for Remote Power Management, and a server uplink to the
    internet).

    I would really appreciate any suggestions. Even if there is a cheaper
    choice not from name brands I will research if you give me a model #
    and make.

    Thanks

    Gio-PC, Jul 9, 2008

  2. Gio-PC

    guercio Guest

    How many rack unit dedicated to the network you have?
    Maybe a rack server with Vyatta (http://www.vyatta.com/) onboard for
    bgp and a catalyst for vlan/server uplink?

    Bye
    Guercio

    guercio, Jul 9, 2008

  3. Gio-PC

    Gio-PC Guest

    Hi,

    Currently 10 machines will be moved over, we are looking at Cisco
    3550 EMI (however, it cant handle FULL BGP due to Memory limits).

    I was recommended the 2924-XL-EN as a switch for servers. I have read
    about Vyatta, but how reliable would it be if my two BGP peers are
    connected to 1 computer, with a single point of failure? Even with a
    1U chassis with Dual power supplies.

    Thanks

    Gio-PC, Jul 10, 2008