    I've reinstalled Win98 and I think all my settings are okay and I've rerun
    the network wizards. What can be the problem?

    Gary

    Gary Glencross, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Gary Glencross

    derek / nul Guest

    Have you tried uninstalling the firewall?

    derek / nul, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Hi Derek,

    Yes, I totally uninstalled the Norton Firewall.

    Gary

    Gary Glencross, Oct 21, 2003
  4. Gary Glencross

    Trent© Guest

    A trojan?...using up your resources?

    Run a virus and AdAware check...probably on the 98 machine.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

    Trent©, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Gary Glencross

    Trent© Guest

    Running Norton anti-virus? Maybe they screwed up another update
    again.

    Trent©, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Gary Glencross

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Out of curiousity, do you have file and printer sharing installed and
    enabled on both machines? And are both machines members of the same
    workgroup?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Gary Glencross

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    And I forgot to add, what protocols are you using? You should only have
    TCP/IP, make sure you didn't add IPX/SPX or NetBEUI by accident.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 22, 2003
  8. Gary Glencross

    Duane Arnold Guest

    My advise is to get a router and let it be the gateway, if that's
    possible. That way you don't have the problem of machine dependence.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Oct 22, 2003
  9. Thanks for the replies so far.

    Yes I have printer and file sharing enabled on both computers, and as far as
    I can see I have only TCP/IP.

    I'm using Windows Logon too.

    Thanks,

    Gary

    Gary Glencross, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Gary Glencross

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    What are your machines set at as far as workgroup names? The default for
    MS OSs is "WORKGROUP", but a lot of times people change it when they
    install, don't realize they did and pick something different or leave the
    default on the second machine, so the machines end up on different
    workgroups. I've seen the wrong workgroups being set cause exactly the
    problem you are seeing, poor performance (especially with 9x). 98 doesn't
    multitask that well, so if it gets busy trying to find a network that
    doesn't exist, it can bog itself down pretty quick.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  11. My machines are all set up as workgroup MSHOME. This seems to be the XP
    default.

    Gary Glencross, Oct 23, 2003
  12. Gary Glencross

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Yes, that is indeed the XP default. I misspoke earlier.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 23, 2003
  13. Thanks again for everyone's replies so far.

    I'm in Scotland, so I don't think any of you guys are handy for me, but
    would an able technician be able to come into my house and sort this kind of
    thing out really quickly, or are there other factors which mean it could
    take ages and ages?

    Gary

    Gary Glencross, Oct 23, 2003