    not sure the update rolled the kernel for me or not.

    Cheers,
    Chris

    El Penguino, Aug 27, 2006

  2. uname -a

    wogers nemesis, Aug 27, 2006

  3. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    That's the ticket ! Thanks.

    El Penguino, Aug 27, 2006
  4. El Penguino

    Earl Grey Guest

    #uname -r

    Earl Grey, Aug 27, 2006
  5. El Penguino

    MaHogany Guest

    At a terminal, or using Konsole, type in either:

    grep "version" /proc/version

    OR

    "vi /proc/version"

    You should get info that looks like:

    Linux version 2.6.13-15-default ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.0.2
    20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005

    (To exit vi, hit <esc> twice and then type in ":q!")

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Aug 27, 2006
  6. It's shown at the bottom of the "system status" page using the web
    interface.

    Malcolm Moore, Aug 27, 2006
  7. El Penguino

    thingy Guest

    If it has not changed cd /bot/grub

    more menu.lst and look for "default" it is normally 0 and points to the
    kernel being booted/used, scroll down a bit and make sure the kernel you
    want is the first one, if not exit, use an editor like vi and point
    default at it, eg default=1.

    then reboot.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Aug 27, 2006
  8. El Penguino

    Allistar Guest

    if you're going to look at /prov/version, you'd be better off doing:

    cat /proc/version

    instead of opening it in an editor.

    Although the uname command is simpler, IMO.
    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 27, 2006
  9. El Penguino

    E. Scrooge Guest

    What's next?
    "Goto line 257:x+y=z:Drawto 314..."

    And say a little prayer while standing on one leg hitting "esc" twice and
    typing ":q!", then swear like Hell.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 27, 2006
  10. El Penguino

    Allistar Guest

    vi is confusing if you're not used to it, but a very powerful editor. For
    command line editing I prefer "nano", and for the GUI "kwrite" or "kate"
    does the job well. vi is definitely not for newbies.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 27, 2006
  11. El Penguino

    Enkidu Guest

    Lennier is actually doing it the hard way. uname -a is all that is needed.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 28, 2006
  12. El Penguino

    Chris Hope Guest

    And even if you *really* did want to query /proc/version then you'd just
    do "cat /proc/version" instead of using a text editor.

    And of course there are GUI ways of finding out the kernel version
    number as well (just like in Windows). In KDE, for example, you'd just
    pop open the control center and it's there on the intro page.

    Chris Hope, Aug 28, 2006
  13. Hi there,

    Or do as Chris Hope and myself suggest, and load the KDE Control Center
    which shows on its startup page the required info. Gnome desktop most
    likely has a similar GUI tool that reports the same info...

    I really thought you'd be smarter Scroogie, than to lower yourself to
    the level of Fred Dagg by letting his FUD determine your response to
    this thread...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Aug 28, 2006
  14. El Penguino

    Earl Grey Guest

    So how would I go about finding the Windows build number from the
    command prompt in XP ?

    Earl Grey, Aug 28, 2006
  15. El Penguino

    EMB Guest

    Type ver

    EMB, Aug 28, 2006
  16. El Penguino

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Christ, you're a shallow and bitter prick when it happens to suit you to be.
    After putting up with all the dirt that a few people in this group throw at
    Microsoft and Microsoft users every day of the year, it's a bit rich when
    having a bit of fun with these great geniuses upsets you and a 1 or 2 others
    so much.
    You wouldn't know a flame war until you actually see a real flame war.

    After putting up with nonsense about how unstable XP is because it crashes
    every time Woody uses it - do you reallly think such nonsense means anything
    to other XP users?
    Then all of sudden Linux users are running round with strange fixes for what
    sounds like a fairly minor problem that 1 person is having. Window users
    are hardly having a field day over claiming that Linux is a pile of crap
    like your mates Woody and David Murray keep claiming. Window users aren't
    running round claiming that everyone who uses Linux is going to have the
    same problems like your mates Woody and David Murray try to claim while
    running down computer users who happen to use XP.

    No doubt the OP will soon be put on the right track even if Woody's
    solutions aren't the best compared to what a few others have offered.

    Having Woody think that some guy called Greg Murphy is developing Comnux was
    the funniest thing yet - it was that obvious even a monkey wouldn't have
    fallen for it.

    When it comes to having a bit of real good fun at Microsoft Woody and his
    mate are best to just leave it all up to the OE stationery experts.

    Anyone could see that Fred Dagg was only taking the Mickey out of the
    constant attacker against users of Microsoft.
    Go and get a sense of humor then you'll be able to cheer yourself up.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 28, 2006
  17. El Penguino

    E. Scrooge Guest

    The problem the OP is having is no big deal any more than a problem a
    Windows user might have - if only Woody and thick mate David Murray could
    understand that when a Window user comes to the group with a legitimate
    problem as well.

    What XP users can do is take it back in time to a date before the problem
    started, which works quite well in some cases depending on the problem.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 28, 2006
  18. El Penguino

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Hear, hear!

    Well said, Scroogie.

    Some around here really need a sense of humour transplant.

    Fred Dagg, Aug 28, 2006
  19. El Penguino

    Fred Dagg Guest

    ver

    Fred Dagg, Aug 28, 2006
  20. El Penguino

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Click on System. It also reveals the Service Pack as well as other
    information.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Aug 28, 2006