  1. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    Is the list limited to Canon and the old Kodak/Nikons?

    RBrickston, Oct 7, 2007

  2. Daniel Silevitch, Oct 7, 2007

  3. RBrickston

    dj_nme Guest

    dj_nme, Oct 7, 2007
  4. RBrickston

    frederick Guest

    Do you mean 35mm frame size?
    35mm is about half full frame of the Hasselblad H3D 39 or
    Mamiya ZD, but full frame for 35mm format.
    Most dslrs are full frame of the APS-C format, some are full
    frame of the 4/3 format.
    There's also some oddball frame sizes from Canon and Leica.
    Apart from for the oddball Canon format in the 1d series,
    there are dedicated lenses available to suit all of the new
    formats.

    frederick, Oct 7, 2007
  5. Damn, now I remember why I haven't read this group for awhile.
    (Looking hard at bank account)

    Fletis Humplebacker, Oct 8, 2007
  6. RBrickston

    SMS Guest

    It's nice that the D3 can use the DX lenses, albeit at lower resolution.
    Canon's EF-s lenses don't work at all on their full frame bodies.

    SMS, Oct 8, 2007
  7. RBrickston

    frederick Guest

    The "dx crop" mode can be switched off. DX lenses that have
    an imaging circle covering larger than dx frame can still be
    used on FX. How well they'll perform is another question -
    probably not so good.

    frederick, Oct 10, 2007
  8. RBrickston

    Bryan Olson Guest

    There was also the Contax N Digital. I think Contax
    was the first to ship a digital camera with a 35mm
    full-frame sensor, though there were medium-format
    backs with sensors of that size.

    -Bryan

    Bryan Olson, Oct 12, 2007
  9. RBrickston

    Bryan Olson Guest

    "35mm" refers to the film width. It's not a
    frame size.
    Used to think that "full-frame" is ambiguous,
    but others convinced me I was mistaken.

    Still cameras using 35mm film generally used
    either the half-frame or full-frame layout. The
    same terminology is not used for the different
    frame layouts on other film stock. The popular
    frame sizes on medium format film are called 645,
    6x6, 6x7, 6x9, or 6x<something-else>. APS used
    the letter designations.

    On the other hand, "35mm full-frame" is certainly
    more clear.

    Bryan Olson, Oct 12, 2007
  10. RBrickston

    frederick Guest

    lol.
    And I thought that I was being pedantic (but I don't
    disagree with what you say)
    Perhaps Nikon's "FX" designation is sensible after all.

    frederick, Oct 12, 2007
  11. RBrickston

    John Ortt Guest

    It might have been clearer if They had just started stating sensor size,

    Eg instead of what is commonnly reffered to as 'full frame' just call it
    35/36mm

    Instead of the usual 'cropped'cameras call them
    28mm (for 1.6 crop factor cameras)
    32mm (for 1.3 crop factor cameras)

    and so on...

    Personally I would have found it less confusing when I was starting out.

    John Ortt, Oct 12, 2007
  12. Yes, but it's easier to "convert" in one's mind thinking full frame,
    1.6, 1.5, 1.3 conversion factor.

    John McWilliams, Oct 12, 2007
  13. Lest I jangle a nerve, I shoulda said, "for me". I don't think "crop", I
    think apparent multiplier effect on focal length when choosing a lens.

    John McWilliams, Oct 12, 2007
  14. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    Ok, let me rephrase it: What are the available models of used digital SLR
    cameras with a sensor size of 36mm x 24mm?

    RBrickston, Oct 13, 2007
  15. RBrickston

    Guest Guest

    contax n digital (if you could find one)
    kodak 14n, slr/n, slr/c
    canon eos 1ds, 1ds mark ii, 5d.

    the only other two are the canon eos 1ds mark iii and nikon d3, and
    they are too new for any to be available used.

    Guest, Oct 13, 2007
  16. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    Thanks. Looks like there is no cheap way in for this format. I'm thinking
    the later Canons are the way to go.

    RBrickston, Oct 13, 2007
  17. RBrickston

    C J Campbell Guest

    Some people have been using DX lenses on Nikon's film cameras with
    varying degrees of success. Some lenses have image circles that are
    more than adequate, at least at the long end of their zoom range.

    C J Campbell, Oct 14, 2007