    I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
    lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
    point me to a link.

    Rex B, Sep 1, 2006

  2. Rex B

    Martin Brown Guest

    You can use just about any old Pentax lens with the IstD series. The
    only ones to watch out for are a few very old M42 threaded lenses with
    longer than normal threads on (used with a PK bayonet adapter).
    Everything from PK onwards that I have tried works without problem.
    There have been other threads about this here before...

    The default action for manual focus lenses is not to let you take an
    out of focus picture with an in-focus indicator. Provided the lenses
    are good ones they work fine.

    The only thing I miss occasionally is the fish-eye. Still need to use
    real film for that.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Rex B

    Rex B Guest

    I'll search again, must have used the wrong writeria
    That's helpful. Thanks Martin.

    Rex B, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Rex B

    RK Guest

    With an adapter my PK lenses work beautifully on my Oly E-300 in either
    Program or Aperture preferred modes. Since they were manual focus to
    begin with I have lost nothing -- and the Oly sensor grabs the center
    of the lens where resolution is best. Only downside is that I cannot
    use spot metering with them.

    RK, Sep 1, 2006
  5. : I have seen references to this in several threads, but no real
    : information. Apparently Nikon and other DSLRs accept "legacy" lenses
    : that one might have from their 35mm kit in the closet.
    : I'm about to get serious about buying a DSLR, and I have some nice
    : lenses with Pentax mount. Can someone bring me up to speed on that, or
    : point me to a link.

    I have a Pentax *ist-DS that I got in part because I had a ton of old
    (1970's era) Pentax "K mount" lenses. They do work. But since the old
    lenses do not have auto focus or electric reporting of focal length there
    were many functions that could not be used. Obviously focus was
    permanently manual. Aperture was not available to the electronics so you
    had to manually set the f-stop and then set the camera (under aperture
    priority) manually to match, while metering was at full open.

    So Yes the camera does work with these lenses and as a "gradual purchase"
    plan, it works. But once you get past the original body purchase you will
    probably want to look into getting new KAF lenses. On the other hand, if
    your "old" lenses are not quite as old as mine, and have auto focus and
    an "A" setting on the aperture ring, the old lenses will be fully
    functional on the new body.

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Sep 2, 2006
  6. Rex B

    jeremy Guest

    Don't bother with manual focus lenses on digital cameras. Optically they
    work great, however with most cameras you'll have no metering or automation.
    You can use these in a studio but they are almost useless in the field.

    jeremy, Sep 2, 2006
  7. Rex B

    bongo rule Guest

    i have a nikon d50 and i find i mostly use every setting on manual instead
    of using the autosettings,
    well im ecentric but im happier this way :)

    bongo rule, Sep 2, 2006
  8. Rex B

    barrett Guest

    i have no personal experience with the old lenses, yet, but there is
    ample documentation and testimony to verify that the old lenses both
    mount and meter with the new bodies.

    depending on the lens, there may be limitations to the degree of
    automation, but these will not be crippling limitations (e.g., you may
    have to manually stop-down the aperture, but you'll be able to meter
    accurately).

    what you say is true about many other brands/models (it's why i sold off
    all my old nikon film equipment when going digital). but it's not true
    about Pentax lenses/cameras.

    barrett

    barrett, Sep 2, 2006
  9. Rex B

    Matt Ion Guest

    Yes, but do you still use the TTL meter? :)

    Matt Ion, Sep 3, 2006