    image capturing mechanism are same.

    Both of these cameras satisfies my definition.But only one is qualified
    as an SLR why ??

    alertjean, Aug 30, 2005

  2. (I already answered your question in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems)

    Current usage may include the term ZLR (zoom lens reflex) to describe
    SLR-like cameras (although I don't particularly care for the term myself).
    These cameras tend to have the same shape as an SLR, and have the manual
    controls which are lacking in the simple point-and-shoot flat bodied
    cameras. There is a newsgroup devoted to such ZLR cameras here:

    rec.photo.digital.zlr

    Some people demand that on an SLR, the reflex part must be achieved with
    mirrors, whereas on the ZLR the reflex is electronic. This does limit the
    quality of the reflex finder, and may prevent highly accurate viewing such
    as depth-of-field preview or manual focus. For the slr-systems group,
    interchangeable lenses and complete systems of add-ons distinguish the SLR
    from the ZLR.

    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 30, 2005

  3. alertjean

    Justin Thyme Guest

    SLR=Single Lens Reflex - By "Single Lens" it means that the same lens that
    forms the recorded image, is also used to create the viewfinder image. What
    you see in the viewfinder is pretty much what will be recorded. The
    alternative are various rangefinder and twin lens cameras that have a
    separate viewfinder with it's own lens - in this case you get parallax
    variations between the viewfinder image and recorded image, and you also
    don't get preview of focus accuracy or of effects of filters.

    The other part of SLR is "Reflex". The reflex is the combination of
    prisms/mirrors used to give a non-inverted image in the viewfinder.

    The canon fully fits this definition in that it has a single lens, and a
    combination of prisms/mirrors to give a non-inverted image in the
    viewfinder.

    The S5500 has a single lens, however the viewfinder image is an electronic
    image, not the true image formed by the lens, it is therefore not a "reflex"
    camera. (Thus making the other term for these cameras, ZLR or zoom lens
    reflex, also incorrect.)

    Traditionally, SLR cameras also have interchangeable lenses, however this
    has no bearing on whether or not a camera is an SLR - there have been a few
    SLR's made that don't have interchangeable lenses, and there are also many
    camera designs with interchangeable lenses that aren't SLR's (rare amongst
    digitals, but quite common in film cameras). Because most SLR's have
    interchangeable lenses, most people think of SLR's as having interchangeable
    lenses. As a result even if the S5500 created it's viewfinder image with
    prisms/mirrors most people still wouldn't consider it as an SLR, even though
    technically it would be.

    Justin Thyme, Aug 30, 2005
  4. alertjean

    Roy Guest

    Hi.

    A Digital SLR uses exactly the same optical system as a Film SLR, except
    that Film is replaced with a Sensor That is why only they qualify for the
    title.

    The SLR like Cameras, also called ZLR, Hybrid, EVF. use an LCD screen inside
    the viewfinder. They do not have interchangeable lenses, and AFAIK do not
    have actual shutters.

    Depending on the quality, and cost, that EVF can be quite slow, and moving
    subjects can seem to move jerkily. It can also seem to have a fairly coarse
    texture, and sometimes over enhanced colours, be over contrasty, or low
    contrast. Manual focussing can be difficult or impossible.

    They do have advantages, no moving parts mean they can operate completely
    silently. They can have a very much bigger Zoom range than SLRs. (Not
    because of the VF, but because they also tend to have smaller sensors). You
    can usually read the Menus, and see the previews, in the VF, which is quite
    a benefit in bright sunlight.

    Roy G

    Roy, Aug 30, 2005
  5. alertjean

    Mike Warren Guest

    Hi David,

    You're not the same David J Taylor that frequents certain
    Borland groups, are you?

    -Mike

    Mike Warren, Aug 30, 2005
  6. This is a keeper! Good explanation, and nicely worded. Should there ever
    be a FAQ here, this should be part of it. I hope you'll repost as needed!

    John McWilliams, Aug 30, 2005
  7. alertjean

    Jeremy Guest

    Check this article--closest thing to a FAQ that I can find:

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2dig.htm

    Jeremy, Aug 30, 2005
  8. alertjean

    Martin Guest

    A big plus for having the menus and other data viewable in the
    eye-level viewfinder is that all this information is placed at apparent
    infinity. Those of us with "older" eyes have trouble reading the text
    on a back-panel LCD. This one feature makes my Canon S1-IS worth the
    price I paid, and now that I'm familiar with the button arrangement I
    can set all the functions and variables without taking the camera down
    from my face.

    Martin

    Martin, Aug 30, 2005
  9. alertjean

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Once is an SLR and the other is marketing BS designed to scam people.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 31, 2005
  10. alertjean

    Prometheus Guest

    It is not a direct image formed by the lens since it is not reflex, but
    it is formed by the taking lens.

    Prometheus, Aug 31, 2005