Slow Usenet header loading

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Steve IA, Jan 26, 2008.

  1. Steve IA

    Steve IA Guest

    A couple of days ago after I logged on early in the morning to do my
    browsing, I noticed that it took an unusually long time to down load message
    headers from my newsgroups. (5 groups,~150 messages) . Normal with high
    speed wireless connection is a couple seconds tops. Since Wed. AM it has
    taken approx 30 seconds to download the headers. After they are loaded,
    each messages will open immediately as I click on it.

    It indicates 'contacting host (news server)' or 'connected to (news server)'
    depending on the browser and indicates it is working, not stalled, by the
    moving bar on the task bar.

    Another symptom . After downloading headers. If I leave the newsreader
    idle, and come back in 4 minutes, then select a different news group it
    again takes ~30 seconds to load the headers . It shows "contacting" again.
    After that each message will open immediately as I click on them. If I come
    back in 3 minutes the header load is immediate.
    Seems like something is timing out between 3 and 4 minutes, but I've checked
    the options and account
    settings on all 3 browsers and can find nothing that appears to control
    that.

    This happens using:
    Dell 2200 - WINXP home.
    High speed wireless connection
    Linksys WRT54GL router
    NNTP server port 119
    Connection speed (www.speakeasy.com) 1344/471 kbps (normal range)

    Netscape 4.7 (default news reader)
    TBird 1.5.0.13
    IE 6.00.2900.2180

    Same thing occurs when testing using an old win98 machine on Netscape and
    IE.
    Same delay.

    The browsers open normally. All email and web surfing downloads are normal.
    I'm using AVG Free and have been for 1 year or 2. Thursday scan was
    negative.
    When I quit AVG it does not help.
    I have not added any new programs or firewalls.
    I have run ad-aware and spybot but they did not find anything .

    I contacted local Tech Support Wednesday and they were no immediate help but
    said they would check and for me to keep watching and report if it did not
    get better. It
    didn't. I called them Friday morning to report. They took my complaint and
    said they'd check. at the '2nd level". They called back hours later and said
    they had set up the newsreaders and could see nothing wrong: downloads were
    instantaneous. The did admit they were in the same building as the news
    server. They suggested I see a local PC guru to fix my computer.(!)

    I called TS back Sat. AM to further discuss the timing issues I had
    discovered (3 vs. 4 minutes idle). The rep said they were still testing it
    (this isn't the impression I got last night) , and thanked for the new
    information.

    Are there any further testing, tweaks, adjustments I can make on my PC to
    possibly help this situation?
    Are there any suggestion I can give to TS on where to look?
    Are there router settings that might be doing this? I haven't messed with
    the router at all.

    Please don't suggest that I get a 'real' newsreader. I'd like to have these
    I use work as before, that's all.

    Thanks for your responses.

    Steve
    41N

    Steve IA, Jan 26, 2008

  2. Steve IA

    chelsea999 Guest

    how long has this been happening and have you tried your provider

    chelsea999, Jan 26, 2008

  3. Steve IA

    richard Guest

    Depends on how busy your server is. I've noted many times that newsguy
    is a tad slow on retrieving headers. A couple of weeks ago, couldn't
    get nuthin. Checked 3 different ways including their own web reader.
    Nuthin. They said there had been like an overload on the internet and
    was screwing things up a bit.

    But that isn't as bad as it was back in 98 or 99 when on one day,
    usenet was so overloaded, posts were mysteriously being placed in
    wrong groups, wrong threads and many just never got posted anywhere.
    Not just on my server, but every server.
    So be patient. Eventually you'll get them.

    richard, Jan 26, 2008
  4. Steve IA

    chuckcar Guest

    <snip>

    try doing a tracert and a ping to the name server for the news. You also
    might try doing a telnet to it on port 119. You are of course looking
    for where the slowest hop is in the travert. With ping, it would
    indicate if it is overloaded (which would make the 2nd tech's story
    doubtful). With a telnet, you will see any messages netscape doesn't
    show. You might consider going to a newer version of netscape - that
    version is over 10 years old and possibly not quite acting right in XP.
    Before you reply to that, I knew someone who ran that version on XP and
    when he connected it gave a *completely* wrong conection speed on
    dial-up.

    in dos/command shell:

    tracert <your newsservers name>
    ping <your newsservers name>
    and in run:

    telnet

    and the host name: <your newsservers name>

    port: 119 as opposed to telnet which it has

    chuckcar, Jan 26, 2008
  5. Steve IA

    Tony Guest

    Tell him to upgrade to netscape 4.8 because it works perfect for me. Milano
    Man still uses netscape 4.7 and he must know what he's doing. I'll be using
    netscape for at least 10 more years because i've been using it for the last
    10 years.

    Tony, Jan 27, 2008
  6. Steve IA

    Tony Guest

    I heard there was a system glitch in the Medina, Ohio area. Probably just a
    temporary thing.

    Tony, Jan 27, 2008