Slow system since windows update - help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Cat Erina, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Cat Erina

    Cat Erina Guest

    Hello.

    I updated my Windows 98 last week from the microsoft site.

    My computer in ten years old, but it was working fine before. Since the
    update, everything is SO SLOW.

    Programs have been freezing, especially Explorer and everytime I turn the
    computer off.

    It's the pits. Can I do anything to fix this?

    Thanks for your insight!

    Catherine

    (If you e-mail me directly, please indicate in the object line that you are
    answering to my plea for help because I don't usually open messages from
    strangers!)

    Cat Erina, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Cat Erina

    Ron Martell Guest

    Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Compare the
    list of items that are loading at startup with the following checklist
    web sites to see what can be safely dispensed with:

    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html - has trojan related
    items listed

    Note: Please ensure that you fully understand the purpose of a
    startup item, how and why it was put into the startup, and the
    consequences (if any) of removing it before you make any changes.
    Some items are very important for the proper and safe functioning of
    your computer, including at least one item that is listed twice.

    Disabling an item by unchecking it in MSCONFIG should only be done for
    testing purposes or as a "last resort" when no other way of getting
    rid of the unwanted item can be found.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Nov 17, 2004

  3. Cat Erina

    Plato Guest

    Time for a new PC that has the memory and harddrive space needed for XP.

    Plato, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Cat Erina

    Barry Guest

    That could be the case,,,

    Barry, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Cat Erina

    Plato Guest

    And perhaps in a pc that old you have some ISA cards and/or other cards
    that you wont find XP drivers for.

    Plato, Nov 19, 2004