    last couple of days that dropped significantly. Just ran
    http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps.

    Anyone know what the cause might be please?

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 6, 2014

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Kraftee Guest

    First question whose speed test are you using???

    After that it can any one of many problems. Taking as said that you are a
    BT line, go to their website and run an automatic line test, if the fails
    see if you can run one from the test socket on the back-plate of the NTE5.
    If it does indicate a line fault report that, not your speed problems.

    If on the other hand the test results are apparently ok approach BT on that
    issue, you card have fault on your port or it may have become misconfigured.

    So the first point, if you are using a reputable speed test site, is do a
    line test and take it from there.

    Kraftee, Apr 6, 2014

  3. Water quite often.

    Ring your own number from your mobile and let it ring for a minute or so.

    R. Mark Clayton, Apr 6, 2014
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Martin Brown Guest

    What sync rate and error diagnostics are you getting?

    I wonder what chance there is of referring the BT "infinity" brand to
    the advertising standards authority since it is obviously *VERY* finite.
    (and even more so when contention is taken into account)
    Try bbc iplayer diagnostics for an independent test.

    Martin Brown, Apr 6, 2014
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]

    With a VDSL modem (as used for "Infinity") you won't be able to see such
    information.

    You could install a router with an integrated VDSL modem (e.g.
    https://shop.seg.co.uk/vigor-2860n.html) which would give you line
    information.

    That way you could separate a line problem from a contention/throughput
    limitation imposed on your service.

    -- Graham J

    Graham J, Apr 7, 2014

  6. Thanks all, appreciate the feedback.

    I went to the BT forum last night and found many (hundreds?) of
    similar complaints. Added my own on page 42 of that thread:
    https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infi...s-drop-heavy-in-evenings/td-p/1202997/page/42
    which I'll also paste here for convenience/comment:

    --------------------

    "Just found this thread while searching for possible cause of drop
    from 36 Mbps to 6. I'm in East Grinstead, West Sussex. If this has
    been going on for some time (I've been away for a while) then isn't it
    about time we considered some collective legal action? My contract and
    presumably many others is not currently being honoured.

    And why does the online line test report no Broadband issues?"

    --------------------

    It seems from most of those posts that it deteriorates during the day.
    I tested it twice this morning (06:23 and 09:38) and got my expected
    37 MB on both. (Speedtest.net by OOkla at https://www.speedtest.net .)

    I'll test again later.

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 7, 2014
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Brian Mc Guest

    : With a VDSL modem (as used for "Infinity") you won't be able to see such
    : information.

    : You could install a router with an integrated VDSL modem (e.g.
    : https://shop.seg.co.uk/vigor-2860n.html) which would give you line
    : information.

    A BT HomeHub5also has integrated VDSL modem - and DOES reveal the basic line
    stats. I think BT give these out "free" for a recontract - or else there
    are plenty on eBay.

    Brian Mc, Apr 7, 2014
  9. "Just ran http://www.speedtest.net and got around 7 Mbps."

    Terry Pinnell, Apr 7, 2014
  10. and its off to the naughty stool for you for sending attachments with a
    usenet message

    --
    Ineptocracy

    diminishing number of producers.

    The Natural Philosopher, Apr 7, 2014
  11. Or buy a Huawei HG612 on ebay.
    Nice an cheap and nice and hackable.
    Line stats - no problem.
    http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

    Brian Gregory, Apr 8, 2014
  12. Terry Pinnell

    Kraftee Guest

    Yes I know, they're there one moment and then they have gone the next, not
    to sure what's causing them as there doesn't appear to be a common
    denominator, the only thing which has changed on the machine is that I have
    installed Dragon voice recognition software but as they're there whether
    it's loaded up or not !?

    Kraftee, Apr 8, 2014
  13. Terry Pinnell

    Mark Guest

    I guess as more users take up the FTTC service then the contention
    will get worse. Maybe this is the reason. AFAIK BT make no promises
    about speed.

    Mark, Apr 8, 2014
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Brian Mc Guest

    : >It seems from most of those posts that it deteriorates during the day.
    : >I tested it twice this morning (06:23 and 09:38) and got my expected
    : >37 MB on both. (Speedtest.net by OOkla at https://www.speedtest.net .)
    : >
    : >I'll test again later.

    : I guess as more users take up the FTTC service then the contention
    : will get worse. Maybe this is the reason. AFAIK BT make no promises
    : about speed.

    The FTTC to exchange portion of the link is uncontended so any contention must
    be in the core BT Network. Presumably when the speeds drop the VDSL data
    rate is just as high as ever?

    Strangely I have not seen this at all. Since I had Infinity 2 installed a month
    ago my OOkla speed tests have been absolutely consistent - with NO variations
    at different times of day!

    Brian Mc, Apr 8, 2014
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Mark Guest

    There's still contention end-to-end.
    That's good. I've seen speeds drop slightly (over a longer period)
    but others have reported significant drops.

    Mark, Apr 8, 2014
  16. Terry Pinnell

    David Guest

    "Brian Mc" wrote in message Strangely I have not seen this at all. Since I had Infinity 2 installed a
    month
    ago my OOkla speed tests have been absolutely consistent - with NO
    variations
    at different times of day!

    Mine differs between 32 and 34 Mbps but that does not effect my use, I do
    notice the noise figure is 6.3 to 6.5 db usually but can do down to 4 db is
    this BT with their DML keeping me in this speed range?
    Regards
    David

    David, Apr 8, 2014
  17. Terry Pinnell

    Brian Mc Guest

    : Mine differs between 32 and 34 Mbps but that does not effect my use, I do
    : notice the noise figure is 6.3 to 6.5 db usually but can do down to 4 db is
    : this BT with their DML keeping me in this speed range?

    For ADSL (at least) the noise figures seemed to have a "time of day" component
    - and this might be true for VDSL as well.

    If the S/N goes less than 6dB then DLM should decrease the speed.

    My "maximum line speed" is about 46k so there is plenty of spare capacity
    as the "actual line speed" is pegged at something like 39993 for Infinity 2!

    Brian Mc, Apr 8, 2014
  18. Terry Pinnell

    Kraftee Guest

    It is also the place where the bean counters don't see the benefit of any
    money being spent, but they will do if enough people complain/raise faults.

    It's all of one big cycle, users jump on the band wagon (as it is one of the
    only shows in town) until the back haul gets congested so much that people
    start to move away. It's around then that the bean counters decide that
    they really aught to spend money of the back haul, but it's a little to late
    for those that have left, so there is less contention because there are less
    users and the fact that there is actually more capacity and when end users
    discover this they start to join again and so on so forth.

    It's been the same ever since private internet was introduced and I don't
    imagine that it will change any time soon.

    Kraftee, Apr 8, 2014
  19. Terry Pinnell

    Andy Furniss Guest

    The most expensive bit for the ISP using BT wholesale WBC or WBMC is
    40/50 quid per month per mbit/s they have to pay (prices may be out of
    date), historically that's where the contention has been. It's quite a
    bit cheaper than in the past when it was well over £100.
    True, but BT wholesale still have their arse covered in the docs.

    Search for wbc fttc handbook

    It says throughput of 12mbit for 90% of peak 3 hours is the target, of
    course they had similar low rates when adsl max was released and in
    practice there was usually enough bandwidth from them to max anytime.

    I tested my plusnet at 22.45 and got "my" 62 meg - used
    thinkbroadband.com test as it does single and multi connection tests -
    the difference between the two can help diagnosis of eg. packet loss
    leading to far lower single.

    Plusnet show bandwidth usage and customer counts -

    http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml

    22.45 is close but not quite peak for them.

    Andy Furniss, Apr 8, 2014
  20. Terry Pinnell

    Mark Guest

    Perhaps they'd also be OK with "£14.99 per month" being "free" ;-)

    Mark, Apr 9, 2014