Slightly OT: Hub questions

Discussion in 'Network Routers' started by CSquared, Jun 11, 2010.

  1. CSquared

    CSquared Guest

    Kind folks,

    I have a couple of questions if I may, mostly regarding a 6-port
    Gigafast hub.

    1. Does anyone know of any case where (or reason why) the hub would
    refuse to forward packets with Class-A IP addresses while happily
    forwarding those with Class-C addresses?

    2. Is there usually any functional difference between the one upstream
    port and the downstream ports on a hub?

    FWIW, I have a TCP/IP puzzle of sorts which I actually believe is *not*
    the fault of the hub at all, but rather some sort of issue with the
    routing setup in a rather unique device I have feeding packets to
    (hopefully through) the hub. The motivation for the questions is really
    twofold: (1) to try and exonerate the hub more completely, and (2) to
    try and expand my rather limited knowledge of TCP/IP a bit more.

    Thanks for any input or comments,
    Charlie C.

    CSquared, Jun 11, 2010

  2. CSquared

    Char Jackson Guest

    I would expect a hub (or a switch, by the way) to be a Layer 2 device,
    and therefore completely unaware of IP addresses, which reside at
    Layer 3.
    Not that I've ever seen, other than some older equipment that required
    a crossover cable for the uplink port. It's probably been 10 years
    since I've seen a hub, though. Everything is switched these days.
    Can you (even temporarily) replace the hub with a switch to verify
    that the hub is working correctly?

    Char Jackson, Jun 11, 2010