    to contact this guy by phone and email with no luck. We know he moved
    recently, but don't know where.

    How do I extract some of those photos so that I can have prints made?

    williadn, Mar 14, 2006

  2. williadn

    John Guest

    You can just hit your PrintScrn key on each image, and paste each
    one into MS-Paint or another graphic editor, and save it from there.
    But images displayed onscreen are usually only 72 or 96 ppi, so if
    you print them they'll either come out very small or horribly blocky.
    You're much better off getting the original images from the
    photographer if possible.

    John, Mar 14, 2006

  3. williadn

    williadn Guest

    Thanks for the tip.

    I would love to have the originals! Thats just it. This person will
    not return phone calls now and his emails get returned to us.

    :(

    Anybody else have any suggestions?

    What if I download the free Skiljan software and open the .exe
    slideshow in it? Anybody know what my chances are with doing this?

    williadn, Mar 14, 2006
  4. williadn

    Battleax Guest

    You should browse the CD in Windows Explorer, the image files are likely
    there.

    Battleax, Mar 14, 2006
  5. williadn

    williadn Guest

    Can't. The file is an application or an .exe.

    Come on techies and guru's !!! Help please!

    williadn, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Mail him a letter via USPS. It is likely he is having his mail forwarded
    to his new address.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 14, 2006
  7. williadn

    Battleax Guest

    The irfanview support forum, someone asked the same question recently.
    There's been lots of views of the thread but no replys.
    Check the support forum at irfanview.com

    Battleax, Mar 14, 2006
  8. williadn

    Mark Roberts Guest

    This isn't really a tech question. Even if you succeed in extracting
    the images, they're going to be too small to print. You need to track
    down the original photographer. It's a job for old fashioned detective
    work, not technical wizardry... though I suppose technical wizardry
    could be a significant part of the detective business these days.

    Mark Roberts, Mar 14, 2006
  9. williadn

    John Guest

    I already explained how to capture screen shots. What more
    are you hoping for? Prints made from these screen captures
    are going to look like absolute crap, and there's no way
    around it.

    John, Mar 14, 2006
  10. williadn

    Colin D Guest

    You could try writing to the IrfanView program author at

    and seek his help.

    Colin D.

    Colin D, Mar 14, 2006
  11. williadn

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    Yes, its an EXE packed with ASPACK.
    Unfortunately the pictures are not in the resource section but in the data
    segment, that is inside the EXE code. First check how big your EXE is and
    how many pictures are in the show.
    Assuming the show was created from JPEGs of similar pixel size, you can
    divide the EXE size by the number of pictures. Now you have an estimate
    about the individual JPEG file size (very rough).

    But how to get to the pictures? You need to unpack the EXE and then search
    for the JPEG signature in the EXE and cut out the individual images. From
    what I see from version 3.98 this is the only way to get back the originals.
    I tried it with a sample and really got back my 5MP originals. It looks like
    the slideshow doesn't scale the picture when the EXE is created but does it
    on the fly. Lucky for you ;)

    Jürgen Eidt, Mar 15, 2006
  12. williadn

    irwell Guest

    How do you unpack the EXE?

    irwell, Mar 15, 2006
  13. williadn

    John Guest

    Unless I missed it, there's no way to access the Save or Save As
    dialogs with slideshow images, even if Irfanview is installed.

    John, Mar 15, 2006
  14. williadn

    williadn Guest

    DITTO! How do you unpack an exe? I have search my computer for an
    unpack.exe with no luck.

    williadn, Mar 22, 2006
  15. williadn

    williadn Guest

    When I run the slideshow and right click on a photo to do the Save-As,
    the slideshow moves to the next photo. I get no 'right click' menu
    options.

    Any other suggestions?

    How do I open the slideshow exe file inside irfanview?

    williadn, Mar 22, 2006
  16. Someone all ready told you to capture the on screen image using the
    printscreen button. This captures the screen image to the windoze
    clipboard. Then open p Irfanview and paste to a new image.
    You don't.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Mar 22, 2006
  17. williadn

    Beemer Guest

    | OK. My daughter had some photos taken by an aquaintenance of an
    | aquaintenance. He is not a professional photographer. He gave us a CD
    | with a Slideshow on it of all the photos he took of her. When I right
    | click on properties from this Slideshow exe, I see "Slideshow Plugin
    | for Irfan View".
    |
    | Problem: We want some of the photos on that slideshow. We have tried
    | to contact this guy by phone and email with no luck. We know he moved
    | recently, but don't know where.
    |
    | How do I extract some of those photos so that I can have prints made?

    Photographer owns the copyright to the photographs so I suppose you need to
    find him and get his release.

    Beemer

    Beemer, Oct 12, 2006